Vitro Agate Pretty Patches, Mostly Tri-Lites

twovitrooneinchpatches2.jpgtwovitrooneinchpatches.jpg

Jim Garber did an article for the Texas Marble Collectors Newsletter on this marble. He calls it a "rainbow cloud". They have a pole patch of 3 or morel vibrant colors usually of transparent Vienna glass. The base is usually clear with a thick veneer of white cloudy glass. These are rare. These are Garber's words from the article.

The two above are mine. I bought the one on the left as an Akro years ago. I bought the second as a Marble King recently. I knew the second one was vitro thanks to Jim Garber. I know Jim has one. I know of three of them. How old are they? Who's got one or more?

• Like 1

Bet it's something in hand. Looks quite yummy in pix. I bet the rainbow is even better in person. No idea when it was made. I've worked hard on learning Vitro ages and ones like this keep showing that there are pockets of mystery in my timeline! :)

• Like 1

I know what you mean. I think I have one of everything and then something turns up that I've never seen before. Just recently I got some tigereyes in a different color combo. Maybe it's not possible to have one of everything. I started collecting with Akro Agate and I thought they had the most color combos. They are nothing compared the the numbers of Vitro Agate color combo's.

Winnie, some of the patterns look all red, but the base glass doesn't. All reds were on opaque white glass with a colored patch at each pole, usually red at one end. i have found some with orange at one end where maybe they had run out of red and kept making them.

the ones with 3 colors are definitely not all reds.

Steph can tell you more about time lines for them. I've never studied that but have learned a little from Ron Shepherd and Howard Powell about the Vienna plant and the parkersburg plant. My favorites are generally the Vienna era when the best glass was used. I've also learned some time era stuff from Steph. If anybody knows, she does. I am friends with Linda Simmons, daughter of Lewis Louis Moore, who was plant manager at Vitro during the Parkersburg days and i'm hoping to learn from her some interesting things about the marbles he brought home to his kids.

• Like 1

I don't remember the all-red style name still being used in the 1980's. That is, I don't remember seeing it on a bag. I have no idea at all though what names the company used for the marbles in their internal documents. Thanks for the compliment, Edna. There are at least three people who post here occasionally who have a better grasp on Gladding-Vitro and Paris Mfg era packaging than I do. Sometimes I think wistfully about how much more I could piece together with a few hours in some folks' bag and box collections. *drool*

• 10 years later...