Question About Marble Shows

This is probably a silly question, but I am very new to the marble world so I'm going to ask anyway. I have never been to a show, but found out there is one coming to Texas in October and I am going to do my best to make it there. Can anyone tell me what these shows are like? I read something about "different events"? I'm just looking for some insight on what to expect. I'm really excited!

Thanks

-Amber

Hello and thanks for asking. I am in Texas and have participated in a few of the Texas shows. The event is held on a Saturday, but if you come a day or two early you can join in on the 'room hopping'. That is, when you arrive at the hotel you ask which floor the marble collectors are on (they are all on the same floor for everyone's convenience), and then ride the elevator up to marble heaven where you will find individual sellers with their room doors open for trading or buying or selling marbles and marble related items. Marbles are usually laid out on the beds or tables or both. Then Saturday morning everyone brings their marbles and such down to the specified 'ballroom' which is open all day to the public. Then it is over.

Some of the 'events' you might be referring to are actually lectures on marbles. The best lecture I have ever sat in on was a Vitro Agate lecture hosted by the very charming and knowledgeable (did I forget handsome ;)) Jim Garber. His insight into this company is amazing. :music-rocker-001:

Other events might include a 'glass artisan' actually making a marble right in front of you. You just have to see it to believe it. Please come, you'll be glad you did! We'll be looking for you! :cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262:

You definitely want to attend the "marble floor" the day or two before the show. That's where you get a chance to meet other collectors (almost everyone buys. sells & trades), see their marbles and ask questions. Collectors will take the time to try and ID marbles that you bring and try to answer questions. The Texas folks are very hospitable. I was there (from Oregon) a few years ago and enjoyed it. If you can afford it, do make reservations for the hotel and stay on the floor. That way you can stay up until the wee hours talking about marbles and enjoying everyone's company.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few words of caution for a newbie. If you take anything really good, be prepared to be asked (repeatadly) if it is for sale. People don't like to see stuff and not be able to buy it, it's a greedy, competitive world out there. For your first time, it might be good to take nothing, but that is hard, everybody wants to show off something, to show you are a player, so to speak. If you do take things to sell, be sure to room hop around and see if you can find anything comparable, so you're not flying blind. Watch your stuff, a closed showcase is a good idea. Have fun, and be prepared to be amazed. Don't be discouraged because everybody seems to have such a headstart on you, there is still great stuff out there in the bush. Buy QUALITY.

WOW! I must not go to the same shows Dinky does. I leave my mibs out and often leave my table. I also went to many shows as a newbie with stuff to sell and show off. Never felt pressured one little bit. maybe the west coast is more easy going or I am just lucky!!

Two (of many) lessons that I have learned over my marble collecting years

Save time while room hopping

Take a note book and jot down every room number that you

visit as well as who and what was there - or - not there. This

will save time when you try to locate a person or collection that

you want to revisit or skip.

Always wait for quality

Most marbles were made by the millions

-- even if most became slingshot ammo or an anvil.

Be patient - mint gems can still be found. Once you find a mint+

example that you like - seriously consider buying it -- haggle!

Many times I have gone to a marble convention visiting 60+

rooms, returning home with only one or two marbles!

Remember -- mint gems will always sell. And, it is never fun to

store or try to sell your early novice purchases of damaged

“bargain examples.”

At a recent garage sale - a fellow right behind me eagerly

snatched up up a 5/8” clam broth with many - many - many

chips for $20.00. I saw the marble earlier, but passed.

Enough said ...

Big Indian no braid

http://www.texasmarblecollectors.com/Home_Page.php This is a link to the Texas Marble Collector's Club website. Click on the link to find out more about our show, like making hotel reservations. Many of us arrive on Wednesday and we all eat dinner together each night. It's a chance to meet people with a common interest and spend time with them. The hotel has reasonably priced food and last year, they gave us a private dining room for our dinner. It was so nice, we decided to eat in each night. Some of the nicest people I've ever met are marble collectors. If you are not selling, all you have to say is no. I bring marbles to the show that I am not selling. A lot of us do that. It's an opportunity to learn if you can see things you haven't found.

Our special event for the October show is a visit to Kittrell/Riffkind Art Glass. They will have a marble maker for us to watch and also displays of contemporary marbles they handle from collectors around the U.S. In April we have our show at Round Rock near Austin. That hotel allows us to make marbles in an area behind the showroom. It's a fun time. We will also have 3 former U.S, Marbles champions at that show and they will teach us to play marble games.

Please visit our web site to learn more and you can email me from there if you have more questions. Edna

I already dream about them at night lol. As for earlier posts...I don't think I will have to worry about people chasing me down to try and buy my marbles. From what I can tell, I don't have any super rare ones to begin with. They're probably not worth much, just a lot of good memories and sentimental attachment :) My "collection" consists of maybe a few hundred older marbles I inherited from my grandfather and my addition of about 30 contemporaries (mostly Steve Willis and Doug Ferguson pieces) . To be completely honest, I was hoping I could bring the older ones to the show and maybe someone could help me figure out what they are? I've tried and tried to research online and figure it out on my own, but I got a little overwhelmed with so much out there! I found an old Marble Collectors of America patch in one of his wooden boxes of marbles a couple months ago, so I googled marbles, and haven't stopped since! I realized I was spending more time than I thought reading about and looking for marbles, when my 2 year old ran up to me at a flea market yelling, "Mommy! Marbles!!". Sure enough...there was a black and red paint splattered looking marble inside a glass table just in his line of sight. As cool as it would be to buy up all those mint gems at a show, its probably not yet a possibility for me. So for now, I'll stick to buying what I like and what I can afford. I've already made all arrangements, so I'll be at the show for sure! I'm not staying at the same hotel as the show (again trying to do things as cheaply as possible), but I'd really like to come by and see the marble swapping for myself! I would love to meet some new people, and learn more about marbles! So, if any of you see me, please come say hi, because I'm really shy and already intimidated by all the veteran marble collectors I'm going to encounter lol. Just look for the baby yelling "Marbles!"