Old Marble Collection Advice Needed

jcook

Hello,

My father, who is 88, recently gave me his childhood marble collection. There are hundreds of marbles of various sizes and colors. His father gave him many of these marbles and he died in 1932, so the collection, I guess, is fairly old. Many are quite beautiful and the collection has me somewhat intrigued. I don't know anything about marbles, so I poked around a few websites to see what I could learn and I found it surprisingly daunting.

Would anyone be kind enough to suggest how I should go about figuring out exactly what I have here? Thanks in advance!

I posted a photo in the "Members" gallery titled Old marble collection sampler. This is merely a sampling of the collection.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Besides sentimental could they be of any value? If so, how should I care for/ display them? They are currently in a canvas sack.

Looks like you have a good lot. I see some nice marbles in there. Several angles of no more than 6 marbles at a time posted in the I.D section should help a bunch figuring out what they all are. I see a number of Akro Corkscrews in you sample pics.

3 of the marbles in your first pic are German Latticinos. 2 of them look pretty rough.

I would pick out a couple dozen of the marbles that are in the best condition and post pics in the id section 6 at a time.

It looked like all the marbles you posted are old and worth at least a couple of bucks each. Somewhere in that sack you could have marbles worth a $100 or more.