First Time Poster, Don't Know What I Have

I'm a first time poster trying to figure out what I have.

About 30 yrs ago when doing yard work I dug up a ceramic/stoneware jar. It's white in color, very heavy for its size, and it has an unusual clamp that secures the top to the jar. There's a metal label on the top, most of the name on the label is worn off, but you can read the words Stoneware Company. The bottom of the jar has the letters BOF stamped in it. Between the top of the jar and the jar is a rubber seal.

Inside the jar is filled with what I would call marbles. They are solid in color, sort of a dull off-white / tan color. They are smaller than a dime, and they are not perfectly round, but a little rough.

I've attached a picture, hopefully it will help.

thanks!

post-3233-0-93332100-1319296378_thumb.jp

Mine looks identical to the one in the ebay link that Steph posted, with the exception of the little balls/marbles in it. And like the one on ebay, mine has the same letters on the bottom, and it does say Stoneware on the lid, the rest of the letters/name can't be read.

I was hoping it was worth millions... guess not! Thanks everyone for your help.

Check out this catalog on the Bay. Again looks newer than your jar but I think the same company.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-U-S-Stoneware-Catalog-Tygon-Jars-Towers-Masonry-/380125413424

This page explains how mill jars would be used. If you can read the fine print you'll see a reference to "Danish Flint Pebbles and Porcelain Balls" for use in the chemical pulverizing process.

264388913_o.jpg

Mine looks identical to the one in the ebay link that Steph posted, with the exception of the little balls/marbles in it. And like the one on ebay, mine has the same letters on the bottom, and it does say Stoneware on the lid, the rest of the letters/name can't be read.

I was hoping it was worth millions... guess not! Thanks everyone for your help.

Whatever it is, I think it's a very cool item. Don't underestimate it just coz it's not worth millions! :) :) :)

I wouldn't use that one non-selling ebay listing as an indicator of its monetary value either. If you were tempted to discard it, I'd look for second opinions. just sayin!