Question Regarding Aventurine

Hi I know that this subject has been discussed previously, but I am trying to get to a definitive definition of what "Aventurine" is , It is simply the color Green with flecks in it?, or is it a by-product of the "Marble Making" process that accidentally creates the "Green" Aventurine effect with flecks in it?.or both? any assistance would be highly appreciated - thanks in advance robert@Pop.

Hi and thanks but that's just adding to the confusion, all the listing about "aventurine" have nothing (from what I can see) to do with Lutz, and the "Green" flecks from what I have read are created as an accident and this adds to the rarity of true "aventurine" , this probably follows the "oxblood" argument - were at one point the "oxblood" color referred to specific manufacturers (i.s. akro or Christensen) and their deep reds, and now is a blanket "description" regarding any dark reddish.brown by any manufacturer, I am starting to think that 'Aventurine" is becoming a "Catchall" color description in the same way. I am trying to find out if anyone has the original description. thanks again

Goldstone would be the original aventurine.

The mineral known as aventurine was named after the glass.

Sometimes the sparkle is intentional. Sometimes it isn't. People have intentionally overloaded art glass with the chemicals it takes to make the sparkle. I would have thought that the aventurine we see in marbles from the 1930's through 1970's was accidental but I am not sure. Jabo had it intentionally in the last few years but I think they got the aventurine premade from art glass suppliers, as opposed to mixing the chemicals from batch and getting the sparkle that way.

Much ... but I don't think all ... aventurine is copper based.

Here is a patent filed in 1947 which is about making green colored glass. http://www.google.co...id=abprAAAAEBAJ

They mention an aventurine which appears to be chromium based, not copper. I think this patent is more interested in suppressing the aventurine but it notes that sometimes it is made on purpose.