Contemporary Or Vintage?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item43b11feff3

I'm guessing contemp.

And if someone is going to polish a marble, I wish they would do it so the end result is round, not oval with pointed ends.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item46050b2b64

Or even worse, oblong or misshapen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/089-POLISHED-1-7-8-Antique-German-Handmade-Onionskin-Cloud-/300732330645?pt=Marbles&hash=item46050b3295

They all look old to me. I think most buffing is done by hand and leaves the pontils intact and an out of round might stay out of round. Polishing is usually machine-done which creates a nearly perfect orb as you describe. Polishing totally removes the original pontils and the marbles won't necessarily fetch as much at auction.

First (If not contemp) appears an example of what happens when the polishing get into the colored glass of the marble.(pontil looks very questionable) the polishing done with hand pads and lapidary equipment will often give these gross results.

What makes you think it is a contemp? Just trying to learn something about the questionable pontils that I'm not seeing. It sounds as if you have already held this mib or that you actually made this mib.

From my years of collecting handmades:

1. The frit colors are inconsistent with antique methods

2. The clear glass appears a bit too clear/bright.

3. The frit method is inconsistent with antique methods

4. The pontil show in the second photo right is not consistent with vintage methods

And from a qualitative standpoint - the piece just looks wrong in almost all respects. For me - it isn't even close to an antique piece. Plenty of these types made by volume producers to sell in gift shops today for $25 retail. There is a gift shop near the Pentagon that has an entire window of these.

I believe you only please explain why a contemp would be sporting the remains of a ground pontil after, of course, they go to the trouble of polishing/buffing. Or is what I'm seeing as the remnants of a ground pontil actually minute air bubbles? (click on the pic)

post-315-0-20376700-1341339022_thumb.jpg

I believe you only please explain why a contemp would be sporting the remains of a ground pontil after, of course, they go to the trouble of polishing/buffing. Or is what I'm seeing as the remnants of a ground pontil actually minute air bubbles? (click on the pic)

post-315-0-20376700-1341339022_thumb.jpg

Both pontils look fire polished to me - one seems to be sort of hastily done and uneven. I'm not sure the piece is round at the pontil (second in left column).