Sammy's Mountain Marbles

sissydear

I am in West Virginia and a group of friends are making marbles tomorrow at Sammy Hogue's place. Thought I would show you some that came off the rollers 3 days ago. Sammy had some help from Eddie and Barney Seese and Dave McCullough was consulting. I think they're beautiful. They are 5/8th inch. These by the way are not the prettiest because I happen to like the ones with sprinkles and i think they are the prettiest. Maybe I'll buy some of them tomorrow.

sammy27s-mountain-marbles-b.jpg

Hi Edna!

When (I mean 'if'!) you get some sprinkles, please take another photo!

All the marbles are terrific, as might be expected from all those terrific people.

But I'm curious about the one in the lower left of the photo.

It has a distinct 'original Joker' feel to it, at least in the loose way I look at things.

Was anyone 'going' for this, or is it just another wonderful variation? ( :

Just another wonderful variation I suppose. The marbles pictured were all from the 3rd experimental run before doing the first investor run. We ran marbles fronm 6:00 this morning until....... I don't know if they are still running. I left at 9:30 tonight and they had a lot of glass to go. It takes longer to make 5/8th marbles than 3/4 th inch marbles. (Because you have to make more marbles to use up all of your glass.)

The marbles will be divided tomorrow and all of us will take our share and go about our business. I do have two pics of the first ones made today and i'll post those. All other pics will have to wait until we have our marbles.

marble-buddys-eggs-best.jpg

These are fun. When making machinemade marbles, some eggs and footballs always get made. I have always thrown mine away. I will be keeping mine this time. They are beautiful and will look really pretty in a bowl. I have never been in a run before that had such wide ribbons of lutz. These are keepers.

marble-buddys-lutz-marbles.jpg

These marbles all have lutz, some have wide ribbons, some have what Griff calls "Pixie sticks". Hand made marble artists would call them "stringers". Some have a lutz mist. Some of each are shown here.

I'm sure others will post some pics when they get home with their marbles. I'm going on to the Sistersville Marble Festival so I may have time to sort and do pics before I go home.

Edna,

Very nice looking goods coming down the pike over there at Sammy's. Your last photo has a yellowish cast to it when I open it. Are they whiter than what I am seeing or are they an off-white pale yellow custard color? Can't wait to see more as I have always been a big fan of 5/8" marbles. Looks like the Sammy group has got it down. When you run some more, tell them I like purple and yellow if you can influence them some.

I think these would look good in a Series V Lost Your Marbles box! Of course I would need first pick of about 500-600 pounds.

Good Luck to all!

mm

I started sorting at 1:00 pm. It's now almost 7:00. I'm completed half a box. No way I'm going to finish tonight much less take pics andl edit. However, i can't keep my hands off them. They are colorful, glitzy, and swirly. I've never seen these patterns in any marbles I've been involved in making before and i think this is run # 8 for me. We have sprinkles, pixie sticks, mist, and ribbons of luts and wonderful color. Some individual marbles have swirl patterns that are outstanding and will have to be photographed alone rather than in a group. I think very few of these will ever leave my hands. I have never seen so few cold rolls. My baggy of trash from sorting half a box barely fits one small corner of a baggy. I hope this holds up for the rest. Of course the eggs and footballs that i used to throw away are too pretty to throw away and I'll be keeping them. Now when the throw away things are pretty, just imagine the marbles. I thought Last Dance had a lot of lutz. Forget that! Not only is there more lutz, but the ribbons are wider, much wider. I can hardly wait to be finished and posting pics of them. Thank you David McCullough, Richard McKnight, and Sammy Hogue for your talent, knowledge, and hard work.

I started sorting at 1:00 pm. It's now almost 7:00. I'm completed half a box. No way I'm going to finish tonight much less take pics andl edit. However, i can't keep my hands off them. They are colorful, glitzy, and swirly. I've never seen these patterns in any marbles I've been involved in making before and i think this is run # 8 for me. We have sprinkles, pixie sticks, mist, and ribbons of luts and wonderful color. Some individual marbles have swirl patterns that are outstanding and will have to be photographed alone rather than in a group. I think very few of these will ever leave my hands. I have never seen so few cold rolls. My baggy of trash from sorting half a box barely fits one small corner of a baggy. I hope this holds up for the rest. Of course the eggs and footballs that i used to throw away are too pretty to throw away and I'll be keeping them. Now when the throw away things are pretty, just imagine the marbles. I thought Last Dance had a lot of lutz. Forget that! Not only is there more lutz, but the ribbons are wider, much wider. I can hardly wait to be finished and posting pics of them. Thank you David McCullough, Richard McKnight, and Sammy Hogue for your talent, knowledge, and hard work.

burnin the gas ... see ya soon edna ... bill

I didn't finish sorting last night. Found more families, more lutz, more unusual patterns, more eggs and footballs, very little broken marbles, some out of round. Mostly just great marbles. i can hardly wait to take pics. I'm driving to Sistersville today.