I May Have Found Your Shooter!

Generation gap showing here. We simply had marbles and boulders. Catseyes, peeries and steelies.

We did not shoot them against each others to knock them out of a ring. We dug a small hole in the ground and who ever got the marble in first would win. Thus we used a "snap" (like when you snap your fingers to a song) to send the marble flying. Some kids could hole it on one shot from 10 yards away. A catseye was = to two peeries and a steely were equal to two catseyes. But most kids didn't use them because they would sink into the sand making them harder to shoot.

By the rules a shooter can not be any larger than 3/4". And holding anything much larger in shooting positon is very tough for kid size(or even adult) digits. I never heard the larger marbles called shooters until Ebay got going. It is becoming a rather common term for larger marbles.(wrongly IMHO)

I'm with Galan on this as 70 years ago (Iwas 7 years old and played marbles most everyday) a shooter was a 3/4" or smaller marble period. Anything larger was called a boulder (used mostly to lag with) period. Now you must know that this was in the state of Florida. What they were called elsewhere could have been anything and most likely were and I,m here to tell you that they were just as right as we were. That's the beauty about marbles in my way of thinking, you can put any name you want to on a giving mib. ----Leroy----