Stray Question Of The Day -- Peltier Milkies??

Steph

.... what would Peltier Milky Marbles have been in 1927?

I can't remember if I've asked this before or not. I've been doing a lot of organizing and have found all sorts of cool things I forgot about. And one had a mention of Milky Marbles .....

" I think so", he said, with some uncertainty.....

Hi migbar. I agree with the uncertainty. 1927 seems to be the year when everyone was switching from hand-gathered to machine-made. So I'd guess they could be either. Or both. Made either before and/or after the change-over. Anybody have one? Or one they think might be one?

I know "milky" is a long shot as a name for marbles in this shade. But I gotta pull it out anyway. One of these days maybe I'll be right, or someone else will recognize it and let me know. This marble is handgathered. Opalescent. And brilliantly fluorescent.

post-279-1207325447_thumb.jpg

Neat. Super sweet. And that answers that question!

(By the way, the only reason I realized mine was handgathered was because I could see the whorl under blacklight.)

I looked again at the 1927 document which mentioned Milkies and I noticed that it showed very small numbers for the Milkies in comparison with some other marbles. You really did get lucky.

The other option I keep coming back to for my fluorescent one is Gropper's Opal Agates. They appear to be the right color. I don't remember if I ever got confirmation about their fluorescence though. I may have gotten the answer and could be in denial. lol.

Nice box, Charles!

And I think you're right, Steph -- colorwise, at least, yours looks like the ones in the Opal Agate box. Who has that? Or who knows whether or not Opal Agates fluoresce? I don't have a clue . . .

I went back and looked through my old emails and found that I was told yes, the marbles in that box fluoresce. And looking through an old Gropper thread, I see it was reported that Gino said the box did contain Pelts.

Now I just hope I remember all that this time.

I'm going to call my marble a probable Pelt until any other info comes in to counter that assessment. :)