Pretty Impressive

m!b$

Guest browse4antiques

I know that others will see it differently, and to each his/her own, but there is no place in my collection for marbles ground out of old cullet. ... Roger

Guest browse4antiques

Most fields of collecting have the two branches of antique and "made for collectors". I have no interest at all in the latter primarily because I feel it is highly manipulated and also because there is less security of investment. I have always felt this way through having had many collections over the years. ... Roger

If people that restored marbles never left them out of their homes or signed them i wouldn't have anything against them at all. Problem is the restorers are just feeding the folks that are less than honest and there really is no control over what happens once they leave their possession. And lets be real, there are many many less than honest folks taking advantage of collectors in the chase for the almighty $.

It amounts to a crime. FRAUD. Not disclosing that fact. In the eyes of the law ignorance isnt an exscuse. It's the same on anything you sell of no full disclosure. Doesnt matter where down the line you fall in ownership. At shows I usually have done a couple experiments. This last get together we had I had a couple oxbloods I had 2 people look at for me. They both told me they might be Akro. But they couldnt figure out why the cut was different. I then told them the reason why was that is was Akro cullet melted in a furnace. Then hand gathered and rounded on a Vitro machine. The wierd cut was caused by glass scissors as there wasnt any regular shears. Edna was there I think for both years the Vitro machine was ran at Wheaton Village for a very small run. About 50 each year. Scott Meyer did 20 or less of the oxbloods. They werent made to deceive but so that people could see a machine in action.

The unfortunate part is that our hobby isnt taken seriously when it comes to the fact on fraud. Until harsher penalties are handed down then it will continue as the crooks see it as a way to make a fast buck.

Clyde, you make a point, however I do not want the marble police pounding on my door demanding to look at my mibs! It has got to be a matter of "self policing". I would love to see what some of the marbles I have would look like all shined up but I think that's a bit of a sin to me. My take on this is if everything is wet, dripping, shiny, new, mint, we will have lost the history and value and beauty of all of it. It's like that Twilight Zone episode: Number 12 Looks Just Like You.