Uv-Light

Swissmarble

LOL Darth Ron.

:D

I used to sort out the brightest ones first. Then after I enjoyed those and put them away and let my eyes get used to the next level, I'd sort out whichever colors seemed to be the brightest at that point. And then after that I'd sort again.

Somewhere around the third or fourth level I started seeing really neat multi-color shows. Like some Marble Kings which glowed a lovely blue. And an Akro popeye which had four colors of glow. And many colors of Jabo of course.

Does anyone of you know which marbles glow and which not ? It is rather strange....

- ALL of my sulphides glow

- about 50% of my swirls glow

- most of the lutz marbles glow except the ones with blue based glass

- non of my end-of-day-marbles glow

Does anybody know at what time they started to use non-uranium-glass ? All my marbles are old German handmades, but perhaps the non-glowing-ones were made after WW1 and the others before ? Would be really interesting to know...

I am not a Jedi yet.... :rolleye-842:

Ron,

From a previous topic:

"Light green flourescence seen in soda glass under ultraviolet light has nothing to do with uranium, radioactivity nor age, although radioactive glass is highly fluorescent and old glass usually does contain manganese, which I think is primarily responsible for the greenish glow.
(I don't understand fluorescence in glass - google it, if you want to risk getting really confused.)"

http://marbleconnection.com/topic/17673-transitionals-marbles-or-handmade-single-gather-marbles/

from: http://libanswers.cmog.org/a.php?qid=169200 Why would clear glass show a greenish glow under black light?

Under black light, several of our clear sandwich glass pieces exhibit an iridescent green glow. Is this an indication that the piece is older than the pieces that do not show this trait? I have been told that older flint glass has chromium in it that may cause this effect, is this true ?
Last Updated: May 01, 2012 | 99 Views
Topics: Science
Answer

According to our research scientist, Dr. Robert Brill, "a weak-moderate yellowish-green fluorescence (under either short-wave or

long-wave UV) usually indicates the presence of additive manganese as a decolorizer. It is a common response by non-lead glasses of all types of many periods. I do not recall ever seeing a green fluorescence response to any lead glasses. The fluorescence of any other elements would normally be masked by the strong ice-blue fluorescence of the lead.

What kind of UV light is needed? Long wave or short wave? I found on internet an article saying that black light is long wave UV light

Hi Jeroen

I ordered this one here on Amazon: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000T9HGQI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This works perfectly and somehow you feel like a Jedi when you use it ;-)

Ron

• 1 month later...

Hi folks

I am still running around with my UV-stick and checking my marbles.

And now something really interesting. Obviously it is a myth that just old marbles (and especially produced marbles from nowadays) are glowing. Look at this bunch of ordinary marbles. I won most of these as a kid about 35 years ago, so they are at least that old:

Most of these are glowing like hell.......

post-2885-0-15708900-1390761510_thumb.jp

post-2885-0-79007600-1390761571_thumb.jp

......while this bunch of old antique marbles doesn't glow at all.... Strange, isn't it ?

So the conclusion is, that SOME old AND newer marbles are glowing and some not.

How about the old American machine made marbles (CAC, Peltier etc.). Do these marbles glow under UV-light ?

PLMK

Ron

post-2885-0-86019100-1390762125_thumb.jp

post-2885-0-43404100-1390762135_thumb.jp

One time I hit a large (more than an inch if I recall), soiled, undecorated china with UV. And guess what ... I found that it once had flowers on it. Nothing was visible to the naked eye but the old design lightly glowed in the darkness.

One time I hit a large (more than an inch if I recall), soiled, undecorated china with UV. And guess what ... I found that it once had flowers on it. Nothing was visible to the naked eye but the old design lightly glowed in the darkness.

Wow, that's a cool surprise, isn't it ?