Pretty Cool ......

mon

Wow...sold for what a whole one would or pretty close!

Here I go again, do you see how far off center the cut mark is..pulled the glass much farther and more humped on one side. If the same type of cut was made as the second cut coming from the other side like a pendulum, would this form the"S", from cut mark to cut mark, seen on most all two seam CAC's? This might have already been discussed that I'm not aware of. thanks

Galen, do you see the red stripe next to the two short yellow stripes? It starts to form one end of the "S" and if the shear would be reversed at the other end in making this a marble, would that give the hook or other end of the "S" as seen on many 2 seam CAC's? It's hard for me to describe but often wondered how they made that "S" from seam to seam on the side.

This about the best marble I have to show the "S" trait I'm talking about...it starts on one side of the marble at the cut line and the other ends on the othe side of the marble at the cut line....orange and red strains. Tried to clean them up!

DSC00041_zpsca631c0f.jpg

DSC00043_zps6f233e53.jpg

DSC00047_zpsa0b7fed4.jpg

DSC00045_zpsc8389444.jpg

Fantastic piece and would have loved to have it in my collection.
In my opinion, the guinea artifact is not a "cane" remnant and it is not a "stream" fragment.
It is a knock-off from the end of punty rod.
Keep in mind, this is from my opinion that guineas were hand-gathered marbles.
From the appearance of the shear mark on the guinea artifact, that glass had cooled too much.
The glass did not release cleanly from the shear as the punty was being retracted, thus stretching the remaining material.
Below is a Shamrock artifact that occurred back in 2004, when I was experimenting with various techniques.
Many more of these were created. I kept only this one survivor, while others found collections.
Length is 1.5".

DSC 0116

DSC 0133

DSC 0130

Sincerely,
John McCormick
"Shamrock Marbles"

John,

I should of been asking how this "S" trait happen.....and do you think striped opaques were hand gathered too?

When I first saw this remnant the start of that "S" got me thinking of how, again! I thought that hump was the key ..........can you get a better shot of the side? It looks to have a strong "hook" in the orange like the guinea.

I don't see this trait on two seamers by other companies......

If made on a machine....

Real stupid question about guineas and you won't understand a lick of it the way I word crap...but is there a way that sized frit, of different colors, could have been housed around the stream of base glass and feed/swiped with circular opening directly on the stream? Then, pushed through a slightly smaller opening causing it to melt and stretch? Just scoop some frit and keep the bin full during production.

Thanks

Mon,

Yes, I do believe that some (if not all) CA striped opaque and transparent marbles were hand-gathered.

Your idea about the double-nozzle is worthy of thought, for it is not too different from Peltier's execution in his two patents.

Just some questions?

1) Why do some guineas have "dots" or round blotches and some have "streaks" only?

2) Why do some guineas have a combination of "dots" and "streaks"?

3) Why do some guineas have only one "cut-line"? (Not a fold-over.)

Great questions! Love your inquiring mind.

Sincerely,

John McCormick

"Shamrock Marbles"

Mon,

Yes, I do believe that some (if not all) CA striped opaque and transparent marbles were hand-gathered.

Your idea about the double-nozzle is worthy of thought, for it is not too different from Peltier's execution in his two patents.

Just some questions?

1) Why do some guineas have "dots" or round blotches and some have "streaks" only?

John,

First I would like to say I have never studied any existing marble machines around and poses limited mechanical aptitude. i know didly about glass! I do own a small machine shop and manufacture moly electrodes for some steel mini mills.

1) if the stream was less in volume that the applied grit was not swiped or restricted to stretch. It just melted in dots the size of the frit.

2) If this volume was a tad greater...some were restricted and some not and/or some grit was sized to the high tolerance that would hit the restriction = "streaks" and some would be sized at the low tolerance and not restricted= "dots"

3) this has puzzled me and just off my head thought they deadheaded the stream into an arc, blocked half of the circular frit applier and did flip or fold it with the color on the outside.....cobras= streaked and flipped with the other side of the feed blocked and the colors end up being inside. It really is folded..... it would have to if made on a machine....I think

When you get done laughing please don't be to rough..lol

Neat observation Mon and I wish it was just the S shape, but it is also each end of the S looping to opposite sites of the 2 seams. And then there is the clasping hand formatoin of some which gives the actual S. Put your palms together pointing opposite directions and grasp your fingers together, Now look at the S on the side of your hand where your pinky fingers are. These two pics help show it some what I observe that drives me nuts..

6a2e_1.jpg

Bottom left really shows it. And then lets mention how 1/2 a Guinea can be blotches on one side and the other side stretched. OUCH OWEY OUCH IT HURTS!!!!!

6061189.JPG

But I have already had to have my skull put back together several times trying to figure it all out. So I am trying to get back to just enjoying them for their beauty for now. And my head is still hurting from that last MFC discussion.

Now lets really screw things up

bifrucated_CAC.jpg