Designing A Marbles Museum Display

I have been asked to design a marble display for a local toy museum. I am open for suggestions about what should be included. The only limitation I have at this point is the size of the case for the display. It is 72 inches tall. 46 inches wide and 11 inches deep. It will contain 5 or 6 adjustable glass shelves.

What would a "well-rounded" display include to make it interested for casual museum goers and marble collectors too?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Scott

In the display I recommend - the Life Magazine cover: May 10, 1937. -- It is a classic showing a dedicated young marble shooter. Or, for color, humor and a girl beating the boys is the Norman Rockwell Satuday Evening Post cover April 3, 1939. ( Not sure about the Post date.) Both would soften up a marble display and draw in viewers.

Big Indian - no braid

since its a toy museum...I would include a section on the game......and stay away from collecting and manufacturers...If you have a factory near-by concentrate on that....but acrchived local newspaper articles of the hey days of marble playin...

Maybe an old trophy would be nice, too.

As a former museum person, I can tell you that standard glass shelves (no matter how many) can be very limiting, in terms of visual appeal -- especially for something as (comparatively) small as marbles. I would suggest varying the heights of the marbles on each shelf as much as possible. Having clear plexiglass tubes with bases fabricated for the purpose (from 1" up to 6" or 8" tall) isn't as expensive as you might think. Easier and safer to use (but somewhat more $$) are, say, 1" square solid blocks at the same heights that have had shallow cups machined into the top to hold the marbles. Try calling around to various glass installation companies in your area. Including graphics (mounted on the back wall of the case, if possible, rather than standing on the shelf) like those mentioned above (Life, Saturday Evening Post) will help too.

Have a few big marbles, as Steph suggests. Given the "game aspect" of the display, though, I'd try to keep as many as possible to playing size. Although a few peewees could be fun.

Above all, I'd say choose the very best and most striking examples you can possibly come up with, the more brilliantly-colored the better. And remember that more is not necessarily better. Fewer well-chosen examples are more likely to "showcase" each one, and emphasize the marbles in a way that "lots" can't. Finally, make sure that the very best aspect of each marble is the one presented to the viewer. You'd be surprised how important that last detail can turn out to be.

I suggest you go to the national marble museum and download and printout copies of the national champions I donated to the museum. the boys riding the Elephant from Nay Aug park in Scranton, Esther the female marble player and other 1920's/1930 Champions would make a great backdrop for your display.....Joe McDonough

Very good suggestions. Board games, including marble games are in a different exhibit. What I am leaning towards is

- One shelf dedicated to antique handmade marbles, swirls, sulphides, clays, benningtons, etc.

- Second shelf dedicated to American machine mades, early 1900s through the 1950s. Include marbles and packages

- Third shelf with marbles from the 1960s on, Cat Eyes, Mega, etc. Foreign made marbles

- Another shelf sharing contemporary/art glass marbles with some non game uses of marbles like

- The bottom for marble tournament memorabilia medals, trophies, etc. We have a special display for the 1947 VFW National trophy and the story of the winner of that trophy.

The back wall will have lots of images of children playing marbles with a few figurines on the shelves.

I appreciate all the suggestions. Keep the ideas coming.

Scott,

I have found that if you use tier your marble examples from largest to smallest on your shelves and then use mirrors as a back drop you have a very nice visual effect.

Also put in a few vintage marble bags for filler to add to your display.

Roy