Three Color Parrots?

JerryG

Going through my last box, I found a bag of Vitro ... Parrots and Parakeets. The Parakeets are all three color and a couple of the Parrots are three color. Everything I've read says they should be four color. This is actually an outstanding example. Three color, unless you count the dark swirl through the green or the swirls of white in the yellow. What makes it outstanding in my eyes is that the green is absolutely loaded with aventurine. Sparkles like mad under a bright light. There's another three color Parrot in the bunch also with aventurine, but not as vivid.

AventurineParrot.jpg

Oooooooh.

I don't know what the current word is on Parrots. Used to be that they had to be 4-colors and a certain large size. Some people allow small marbles into the family now. Maybe three colors are okay too.

But it's just a name, isn't it.

This marble stands on its merits!

• 2 weeks later...

I have always liked these Vitros. Well, at least since some very good friends of mine "introduced" me to how fantastic Vitros are some decades ago. Wished I'd showed them the proper respect sooner. Like a lot of collectors, I thought all big Vitros were parrots. Buttermilks were the first to change that way of thinking for me. Then I started giving these a second look. They aren't four color like obvious true parrots are. But I actually prefer them over most parrots. Must be that adventurine. But I like the boldness and simplicity too.

So one day I was leafing through a book on birds and spotted a Macaw. Not just any Macaw. It was a Blue Hyacinth. The same fantastic blue as found on these great three color Vitros. So that's my name for them. They are Macaws. Blue Hyacinth, Light Blue Hyacinth and Purple Hyacinth respectively. I haven't seen them in any other color combinations. Believe me, I look.