Slag I.D.s please ..9's ?

stephenb

Hi all ! , I got three new lots today from a local  , super nice price and mibs are in amazing condition. I would like to get help looking at the first lot. The blues are an out-of-this-world deep blue . I don't think the lighting was right to really see it .Anyway I think I have a bunch of Christensen slags here . They are definitely machine made, please tell me what you think  . I picked out what looks like the 9's first  Thanks !

IMG_E6584.JPG

IMG_E6581.JPG

Generally would be identified as M.F. Christensen, rather than just Christensen.

M.F. Christensen came first, then Christensen Agate.  Not related except I that that the 2nd company picked the name because it was a famous marble name.  M.F. Christensen is best known for their handgathered slags with the 9 and tails.  

On the other hand, Christensen Agate did have some handgathered marbles, presumably including slags.  Akro also had handgathered slags.  Peltier did too.  Not sure who would know how to sort through all of them. 

Long story short:  Good chance of MFC on many handgathered slags.  Some possibility of other makers.  I would start a "handgathered slag" section and show them off without worrying too much about if they are all MFC.  

NOW ... to your specific marbles.  Top row all look handgathered. One the middle row, I'd like to turn over the left one and middle one to see if we really have 9 and tail action there.  On the bottom row, I'd like to see more of the tail on the middle one.  Finally ... on the bottom right ... I'd like to see more of that one for a different reason -- to see if it could be a cork or a transitional.  

Thankyou for your informative reply Steph !  I will quarter turn that lineup of 6 and take photos , then quarter turn again for a back photo. I’m curious now to see if they are hand gathered !   

I believe “hand gathered” means that each gob was hand gathered one at a time from a punty , then cut to size and dropped into the roller ?  

Cool. I can't argue with any of them.  Probably all handgathered. If any turn out not to be, I think you'll figure out on your own that it's out of place since you seem to have a pretty good feel for them.  

The bottom middle could be an example of a handgathered Akro.  A cleaner tighter 9 generally points to MFC.  A somewhat sloppier 9 can point toward Akro.