NEW

Marian

Hi.  I think you have an Akro corkscrew there.  Other views might change my mind but that's what I'm going with for now.  

People might come up with photography suggestions along the way.  But for now those pictures look clear enough.  They look sort of like the same angle though. Not what I'd think of as the "top" or "bottom" of the marble.  If that's a cork, then the white ribbon starts at the "top" and wraps its way around to the "bottom".  Is that what you're seeing on your end?

Re “Hi! I'm new to marble collecting, as far as identification is concerned. Can you recommend a good resource for me?”

Marian, if you’re looking for a good book or two on the subject I’d recommend American Machine Made Marbles by Dean Six (and others) and Marble Mania by Stanley Block as good places to start - both have lots of pictures and are still pretty relevant, though machine made information especially is constantly being updated as we all learn more of our past. 

For website links - besides this great board source here, of course - I’d highly recommend  marblealan.com, and glasmurmeln.com. The latter site is operated by one of this board’s members, marbleconnoisseur, and has some excellent info as well as pictures of some of the world’s most beautiful marbles. 

My other recommendation is to find the next marble show nearest you and go, preferably a day or two early, and you’ll learn more there in a short period of time than you’d believe possible. It’s getting harder to find a comprehensive list of such shows, but here’s a link you can check: http://www.kingofalltechnology.com/marbleshows.htm 

If you’re interested and you care to share what area of the country live in I’m sure we can find an appropriate show for you. It’s well worth if you’re serious about collecting. 

Good luck! It’s a fun hobby, with lots of fine folks, always something to learn, and best of all - beautiful marbles to discover. 

Wow! Been on one site for hours! Again, thank you so much!

i am in Southern Iowa...Went to one marble event in Bonnor Springs, KS a few years ago..Moon Marbles or someplace like that...wasn't able to stay a long time but what we did see was amazing.

Marian, Moon Marbles it is, one of the happiest places on Earth for kids of all ages. The owner is a great fellow by the name of Bruce Breslow, and every year on the first weekend in March he hosts his Marble Crazy event. 

https://www.moonmarble.com/t2-annualevents.aspx

And, conveniently, that same week the Kansas City marble show takes place: 

https://marbleconnection.com/topic/24134-kansas-city-marble-show-march-3-2019/

Scott McBride and company put on a great show. I guarantee if you go you’ll have a both a fine time AND be able to learn more about marbles in a couple of good days there than you’ll pick up from pictures. Go early to the host hotel, visit some of the exhibitors in their rooms, ask questions, and you’ll be amazed at what you see.

I’m typing this now at the Canton, Ohio Show, and the halls of the Holiday Inn are filled with happy marble people doing just that!