Moonie's and flintie's

Chad G.

I have several flintie's that I stumbled upon when using a bright light looking through jar's and can's of mib's, at the time I didn't even know what they where.. The fish eye traveling through the marble is distinctive to Akro. I don't have any moonie's ( I don't think ) Akro or Christensen. Probably because I never looked for them. Anyway are the fish eye's the same in a moonie, meaning do they continue through the marble like a flintie ?? 

moonies.PNG

For the Akro moonie, I'd say generally the same.  Ideally you could see all the way through, or at least see more in that hole than you would see in the rest of the marble.  That's where you would concentrate when looking for that inner glow. 

Both moonies and flinties evolved over the years, with the earliest ones having the most translucence and that fish eye getting tighter and tighter toward the end.  

The way I understood it, the primary characteristic of Moonies and Flinties is opalescent glass, and the fisheye is an Akro identifier. But all I'm basing that on is an old Block's book.

Here are pics of mine. The small one is just a hair under 1/2 inch.  All are opalescent, but it's difficult to get the fire in a photo. The flintie is the only one I'm sure about. Every time I tried to photograph the fisheye  it would disappear as soon as I put the camera on it.

moonies3.jpg

flintie1.jpg

On 8/22/2020 at 7:17 AM, Berryb said:

The way I understood it, the primary characteristic of Moonies and Flinties is opalescent glass, and the fisheye is an Akro identifier. But all I'm basing that on is an old Block's book.

Here are pics of mine. The small one is just a hair under 1/2 inch.  All are opalescent, but it's difficult to get the fire in a photo. The flintie is the only one I'm sure about. Every time I tried to photograph the fisheye  it would disappear as soon as I put the camera on it.

moonies3.jpg

flintie1.jpg

Hi Bruce, I've found my best flintie's have such a good fish eye in them you  can actually put a flash light on one end and see light on the other. Akro moonie's have fish eyes Christensen don't, there are so many different opalescent marble's I gave up . There look's like a bluish tinge to the first mib you have, top L , maybe? a Christensen if no fisheye's ?? I think I've seen one or two outside of marble show's which if you can I would highly recommend attending the nearest one to you. I prefer going one or both of the day's before the show, you get first look and a person to person education on your favorite marble's. 99% of the people @ the show's are there to help you and all to happy to give a little friendly guidance. Steph posted a killer tutorial on seams and fisheye's, all sort's of Identifier's. in  " marble I.D. 's "  On Aug. 12, Just what you're lookin for.