rethinking my corks

bonniemarbles

After reading the "Akro &,or other Ades" forum, I'm looking at my cork section and am not sure what I have with some...does the 12:00 one fit any classification ? Are the  2 & 6:00s ox-bloods, the both have some red that is transparent & some, the darker lines, are dense & no light shines through.  4:00 is translucent, and I called 6 & 10:00 patches, but are they really corks???  And lastly, are they all Akros, or do I have any of them wrong?  I'm very interested in your answers...Bonnie

#29.jpg

#29a.jpg

#29b.jpg

#29c.jpg

#29d.jpg

12 o'clock is 3 colors, so a special (according to Steph's post not an Akro term).  A corkscrew is supposed to have a stripe from pole to pole that makes at least 1 full circuit of the marble. That said I have alot of mibs that don't quite go all the way around. In a grey area; not a patch, not a cork. I have 'em with my corks. Thanks

Bruce

No oxblood , special is a collectors term or (NAME) for marbles w/ 3 or more opaque colors, inc. Popeyes etc..." 6:00 is definitely a corkscrew" 10:00 may be a patch, I can't be sure because of the views of the marble in the pictures. The color stream on a cork will make a full rotation from pole to pole., patches only have a patch or ribbon of color usually from side to the other and don't "rotate" from pole to pole like a cork.

From the marble collectors society of America website (1995-2019, Robert S. Block)

I called Robert @ 12:05 P.S. time today for permission to copy and post this & asked about specials, Quote : a special cork has 3 or more opaque colors, inc. Popeyes as defined below.

image.png

Wow! quite an answer- so 10:00 goes from pole to pole like an "s"  but not totally around the marble once, is it then a patch, or a lazy cork? ( term I've run into but don't know what exactly it is), also if 2:00 is not Akro,  any idea where to put it? So, no ox-blood here, but my 12:00 is a "special"-he's old & tired, but I always knew he was "special", cause it was  among my first favorites. Thanks all!

People might argue the point on 10:00, wish I had it in hand, if it does as you said go from pole to pole, that's 1 qualifier but the s pattern, a corkscrew continues in the same direction or meanders it's way to the opposite pole in the same general direction, still making a  rotation. That's what the definition of the name means, look @ a wine bottle corkscrew that being the intended pattern. I have some that barely make corkscrews but they are not patches, sounds like you have a borderline marble, if I liked it I would keep it regardless and call it whatever it's closest to being. These where toy's, "production oriented" not art, sure they had quality control, that's where all the piles of rejected marbles came from behind every prod. site, people dig them looking for a one off or perhaps a rare example in less than perfect shape, sometimes a perfectly good one made it out the door to the pile or hole!! I'm going to post pictures of a 3/4" blue chocolate oxblood ace  and an anemic blue ox ace both are corkscrews but the oxblood meanders all over on its way around both marbles, both going from pole to pole and making a full rotation, I don't believe the full rotation to be a qualifier myself, it is not part of the stated definition, as long as the spirals of color do not intersect on the way from pole to pole. Obviously a straight stream of color from pole to pole doesn't make a corkscrew, it makes a patch I have patches where the color goes from pole to pole. patch pics. The yellow base w/ a red patch  ( note the red patch goes from pole to pole in a straight line, not a cork. ( note: these patches are not all Akro, my camera is still playing games ) Thank you,

Chad G.

1 (629).JPG

akro21.PNG

1 (439).JPG

1 (438).JPG