Any help would be great

Hanvntlostem

Gladys-JABO made a surprising number of patches throughout their years that are mostly still unknown.  I have read that Dave tried not to make them out of respect to MK, but they were sporadically made while making 5/8" Classics on numerous occasions and then more notably in various tankwashes.  There are some in 3/4" contract runs.  They made a lot of them on purpose after Dave left too like these

• Like 1

I talked with Dave McCullough and Beri Fox both more than once about why they made mainly only swirls or patch and ribbon style marbles. Beri Fox is owner of Marble KIng which her father owned and after her father passed she purchased from her family. Dave was part owner of Jabo.  It was just a courtesy, respect, friendly agreement between Dave and Beri. Since Marble King had made patch and ribbon style many years before Jabo was formed. It was right that MK continue making the patch and ribbon marbles and Dave at Jabo would make swirl style marbles. You can find a few odd non standard production MK swirls. There were a few patch-patch and ribbon marbles made at Jabo while Dave was a part owner there. But most times when this happened Dave was not there, or didn't know about it, until later. If Dave knew about making patch and ribbon marbles it was for a very short time only.

The non written respect  agreement was:

Marble King produce patch and ribbon marbles.

Jabo would produce swirl marbles. 

They both produced industrial marbles.  

No no, Please don't call me king of marbles.  I just decided many years ago to learn WV swirls. My location in WV was the biggest advantage in that. In the center of where all the WV swirls were produced. I was also lucky enough and close enough to spend many hours, some 12-16 hours straight both days and nights at Jabo over many years.  Eight or ten years even before the investor runs began. Watching. listening, and asking millions of questions of any one there who would talk to me. Even the women who did the packaging. A job I could have never done. I saw a lot of people come and go at Jabo. Some were there from the start. The combination of those two were my biggest factors in learning about marbles. The marble shows and experienced collectors were my next teachers. But I soon found out that some of what I heard there was not what I had been told and seen. But it was all they knew at the time. The one single person who started me with collecting marbles and has kept me with it through different difficult times is Sammy Hogue. He took his time, he made me work for all of it. He directed me to every source of WV swirls and also to Jabo.  Sammy give me the clues and I went searching and asking. Even when he knew the answers well and was friends with most all of them who helped me.  

There are many people who know as much and more about marbles than myself. Many are gone now but several are still here and some newer collectors are doing their searching now. Maybe many of those just do not pass along the info they know as much as I do ? Many of them seldom use the internet. Plus it is a lot of time. Some have told me a waste of time. But if that is so, then a lot of people wasted a lot of years with me.  So that they did not waste their time, I pass it along. That is the only thing they ever ask of me. So you will just have to put up with me telling you what they told me or my experiences with marbles. 

Not any king just a messenger.  The messenger reserves the right to be wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Award 1

1 hour ago, wvrons said:

No no, Please don't call me king of marbles.  I just decided many years ago to learn WV swirls. My location in WV was the biggest advantage in that. In the center of where all the WV swirls were produced. I was also lucky enough and close enough to spend many hours, some 12-16 hours straight both days and nights at Jabo over many years.  Eight or ten years even before the investor runs began. Watching. listening, and asking millions of questions of any one there who would talk to me. Even the women who did the packaging. A job I could have never done. I saw a lot of people come and go at Jabo. Some were there from the start. The combination of those two were my biggest factors in learning about marbles. The marble shows and experienced collectors were my next teachers. But I soon found out that some of what I heard there was not what I had been told and seen. But it was all they knew at the time. The one single person who started me with collecting marbles and has kept me with it through different difficult times is Sammy Hogue. He took his time, he made me work for all of it. He directed me to every source of WV swirls and also to Jabo.  Sammy give me the clues and I went searching and asking. Even when he knew the answers well and was friends with most all of them who helped me.  

There are many people who know as much and more about marbles than myself. Many are gone now but several are still here and some newer collectors are doing their searching now. Maybe many of those just do not pass along the info they know as much as I do ? Many of them seldom use the internet. Plus it is a lot of time. Some have told me a waste of time. But if that is so, then a lot of people wasted a lot of years with me.  So that they did not waste their time, I pass it along. That is the only thing they ever ask of me. So you will just have to put up with me telling you what they told me or my experiences with marbles. 

Not any king just a messenger.  The messenger reserves the right to be wrong. 

It’s never a waste of time if you enjoy it!   I’ve only been on this site for a few days and I’ve learned a ton!   Thank you for passing on your knowledge.  I build surfboards and a lot of builders don’t pass on what they know and it’s sad.   I don’t know why they are that way, but that’s just how some are.   I could sit and listen or watch for hours just soaking up every bit on information.