***Your Town***

William

14 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

Wow man, that ain't no steam engine  ...  :badgrin:

There was all kinds of fun stuff today. Seeing that Grenadiers truck brought back memories for sure. My wife Peggy that passed away from brain cancer back in 2018, her father Clarence Remick was a founding member on the drums. She had her father's original snare drum. Now I care for it 👍

I'm seriously considering donating it too the Steam Engine Museum. The big Bass drum is already there..

16629391215406751064593613406163.jpg

16629391520442205844483872672707.jpg

16629391844733588333773733202457.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2024 at 9:57 PM, YasudaCollector said:

One of our world war II vets (in the truck) is celebrating his 100th birthday this year. 

Nice! I Love this thread and hope to see others posting pics of their hometown festivities 😎

We have the largest free fair in the state, hundreds of thousands flock here every August. Use to love it as a kid but much prefer Mabel size festivals these days. 

Domestic associate & I were both born & raised here, (met in jr. high) & lived here most our lives. He's a drummer & he's played a lot of the smaller festivals in Southern MN, Northern IA, WI (some farther of course), as well as the bigger stuff & yep, the small town festivals are the best!

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a celebration...Turkey Vultures on the water tower right behind my house "celebrating" the end of the rain so they can dry their wings This was the 21st.

20240621_102036.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just celebrated the 72nd annual Steam Engine Days in Mabel...I made a brief trip down to the grounds to check out the vendors, and then a trip uptown too deliver something special...

My widow's father, Clarence Remick, played for this band, The Grenadiers, which was assembled back in the mid 50's, he played the snare drum. They marched in many parades over the years across the region and beyond.

I came across her Dad's old snare drum up in the closet last week and thought, you know what? It's going to be reunited with the band. I took it up Linda King, who heads the local historical society, and it went on display in this large storefront window. 

If you will notice in the picture, this same snare is being held by its original owner Clarence. It was an honor and I hope I made Peggy's family proud. I left the decision up to them whether to leave it with the rest of the bands gear or if one of Peggy's surviving brothers wanted it.

Either way, it was absolutely awesome to see it in that display.

20240906_125547.jpg

20240906_125551.jpg

Just now, William said:

Just celebrated the 72nd annual Steam Engine Days in Mabel...I made a brief trip down to the grounds to check out the vendors, and then a trip uptown too deliver something special...

My widow's father, Clarence Remick, played for this band, The Grenadiers, which was assembled back in the mid 50's, he played the snare drum. They marched in many parades over the years across the region and beyond.

I came across her Dad's old snare drum up in the closet last week and thought, you know what? It's going to be reunited with the band. I took it up Linda King, who heads the local historical society, and it went on display in this large storefront window. 

If you will notice in the picture, this same snare is being held by its original owner Clarence. It was an honor and I hope I made Peggy's family proud. I left the decision up to them whether to leave it with the rest of the bands gear or if one of Peggy's surviving brothers wanted it.

Either way, it was absolutely awesome to see it in that display.

20240906_125547.jpg

20240906_125551.jpg

It's hard to see, but the picture on the left shows Clarence kneeling with the drum. Everything in the window is all original gear. 👍😎

Populations only a bit over 2000 but they put on a really good show. When I was a kid all it was was bar and drinking races from bar to bar, pitcher to pitcher, fresh beer sausages, Mmmmm I'll never forget the smell of them sausages. "Rainier Days in the Park" supposedly the best fireworks show on the Columbia River. They light em off from a barge in the middle of the river. It's around the 10th of July every year, turn's the town of 2500 into 30,000 (temporarily) it helps it's right along Interstate 5. You better have a few hours on your hands afterwards to leave, the traffic is a living nightmare.

LINK ::  https://www.rainierdaysinthepark.com/

image.thumb.png.d8137396ce51a49d6a3963e7b727a542.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

Populations only a bit over 2000 but they put on a really good show. When I was a kid all it was was bar and drinking races from bar to bar, pitcher to pitcher, fresh beer sausages, Mmmmm I'll never forget the smell of them sausages.

LINK ::  https://www.rainierdaysinthepark.com/

Here's to ya, brother 

👍😎

• Thanks 1