(Not so) Rare Solitaire Boards 3

20211005_095909.thumb.jpeg.d1e572819d689d509dfedba034697cd5.jpeg

Here is another image showing some nice, if not very rare, solitaire boards from my collection. 

I believe all these sets are original, and all the marbles are faceted types from the earlier period. Sizes are c 14mm, 17mm, 21mm and 25mm. I plead guilty to adding the red mica to the 32 marble 17mm set!

I have found micas to be the most common marbles on English solitaire sets after swirls. I have plenty of others which I'll post another time. A set of reds would be the holy grail - I've never seen one.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 8:00 AM, crashbelt said:

20211005_095909.thumb.jpeg.d1e572819d689d509dfedba034697cd5.jpeg

Here is another image showing some nice, if not very rare, solitaire boards from my collection. 

I believe all these sets are original, and all the marbles are faceted types from the earlier period. Sizes are c 14mm, 17mm, 21mm and 25mm. I plead guilty to adding the red mica to the 32 marble 17mm set!

I have found micas to be the most common marbles on English solitaire sets after swirls. I have plenty of others which I'll post another time. A set of reds would be the holy grail - I've never seen one.

Yeah Buddy !! Killer boards& mibs, I don't even have one red mica   image.png.2ba27675ae0ae8642c1d46fa869c0b6d.png   I see a piece of the "Holy Grail" hiding right in the middle in plain sight. At least you have one, that's a start !!

image.png.11f8e95416151f93bbc72211cc458f20.png

Marblenewbie, yours  are called Fried Marbles.  They were a fad in the 1960's but may still be being made as decorative pieces.

They are made by subjecting marbles to very high and very low temperatures. 

Agree 100% w/ Steph, here's a close up shot of a mica, the mica usually will be in a layer "not floating throughout" the marble because the hot cane was rolled on a layer of mica and put back into the "glory hole" and reheated before being coated w/ another layer of hot glass.  Actual "floating mica"  throughout the marble is very rare, but that's another subject. Here's a closeup view for ya, hope it helps out a bit !!  Note, the mica is in a kind of layer towards the outside, the middle has none. This is an older handmade (1850-1870 or so) usually have one faceted pontil & the other end will be unfinished or have a melted "pigtail" sometimes melted to near oblivion. (1870- 1910 or there about's) were mostly made for the English (Victorian era) board game market and will have 2 unfinished ends and generally speaking will be smaller in size, this one is 1.25" so a larger specimen. There are as with everything, always a few exceptions to the rule.

38.PNG