Christmas and Veterans

akroorka

Merry Christmas to you all this week.
Let’s dedicate some of our best marbles and images to the Veterans that made this year a possibility for us all.
This is a simple Akro corkscrew in olive drab and white. These often show some flakes of AV—really just flakes in green that were not mixed well in the batch glass—but I will call it AV because it is so rare in Akro marbles.
Rarer still, is my Grandfather on the right with his two brothers who fought in WW1.
I know he made it back, Mustard gas and all. He was a “Horse shoe-er”. The other brothers were never spoken of—little was ever spoken about the “Big” war. He coughed a lot and was a great fisherman.
Salute!!
Marble—On!!

Olive drab Final.jpg

Grandpa.jpg

As a Veteran - I thank you for the kind thought.  I can tell you that it can be pretty isolated and lonely for a lot of our military.  Some of the places that many serve are quite isolated, even desolate.  And they can feel pretty much on their own, unknown and forgotten.  I have visited a few of those places.  Even those on established military posts overseas with 4-500 people can feel pretty isolated serving during Christmas.  From firsthand experience, it can be a quiet 24-hour shift on Christmas because married (accompanied) military almost never have duty on Christmas, New Years etc.  So the younger, single guys get the duty.  But they are there, serving, underpaid and generally unacknowledged.

To Brothers and Sisters in arms across the globe - I know your sacrifices and appreciate all that you do.  Here is a Planet recognizing how widely you serve.

UN6iMa.jpg

• Award 1

My Grandfather was a tail gunner in the USAF during WW2 (in the bubble/ball turret), When he returned home from the war, he married a widow with 11 children from a previous marriage and then they had 2 additional children. Tragically, All of his service pictures and documentation were destroyed in a house fire which also claimed one of his children in the early 70's so we have no pictures to share of his time with the service. Anyway, Here are a couple of Colonels from the Jabo "Last dance" tribute run I got this week, it is my understanding that many of the families from this run are dedicated or named for members of our armed service branches.

Snapchat-1723804128.thumb.jpg.4d82e0d496839f243fab3f306c464d47.jpgSnapchat-1698712236.thumb.jpg.eaf55829b66215303c9a50a4475f23a8.jpg

• Award 1

I am not a Vet although I was planning on it in 1973, my senior year in High School (Nixon did something right) but my daughter is a vet.
Imagine knowing that your daughter is flying in a helicopter over Iraq during the worst of times.
This is a salute to her.
Swarovski on!! (she is a Swarovski rep, but still serving our country as well)
Salute to you my favorite Daughter!!
A Swarovski marble!!

Swarovski marble.JPG

• Wow 1

55 minutes ago, Alan said:

As a Veteran - I thank you for the kind thought.  I can tell you that it can be pretty isolated and lonely for a lot of our military.  Some of the places that many serve are quite isolated, even desolate.  And they can feel pretty much on their own, unknown and forgotten.  I have visited a few of those places.  Even those on established military posts overseas with 4-500 people can feel pretty isolated serving during Christmas.  From firsthand experience, it can be a quiet 24-hour shift on Christmas because married (accompanied) military almost never have duty on Christmas, New Years etc.  So the younger, single guys get the duty.  But they are there, serving, underpaid and generally unacknowledged.

To Brothers and Sisters in arms across the globe - I know your sacrifices and appreciate all that you do.  Here is a Planet recognizing how widely you serve.

UN6iMa.jpg

As a USAF veteran, I concur with Alan that our military certainly sacrifice a great deal.  “Freedom is never free.”