Yellow Patch w/blue 1"

Jzoook6

One inch?

The big ones play by different rules.

Akro is mho. The yellow does it for me regardless of any other color that may be involved.

I am guessing that this one has some UV reaction as well.

I appreciate all opinions and learn from them all.

Marble--On!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, akroorka said:

One inch?

The big ones play by different rules.

Akro is mho. The yellow does it for me regardless of any other color that may be involved.

I am guessing that this one has some UV reaction as well.

I appreciate all opinions and learn from them all.

Marble--On!!

Yes 1" I recalibrated and everything lol. It does nooooot UV react. IF ONLY.
Based on my very short/limited experience with Akros, it doesn't seem clean enough or something to be one? 

Yours also has a bit of oven brick, which is way more common in Master than Akro and, to me, the bubbles don't look right for Akro either. But Art is right, Akro probably made a lot more 1" marbles than Master did so . . .?

• Like 1

Just now, Ric said:

Yours also has a bit of oven brick, which is way more common in Master than Akro and, to me, the bubbles don't look right for Akro either. But Art is right, Akro probably made a lot more 1" marbles than Master did so . . .?

Ok thank you sir. Did either company make catseyes? 

Akro did not make any cat's eye type marbles, Master Glass did, but Master Marble, which came first, did not. I am not sure which of the Master companies made these crazy potato chip looking ones that may or may not be considered cat's eyes but I wish I had a handful of them.

https://marbleconnection.com/uploads/monthly_2020_11/Ric446.jpg.dde913b1cef987ef223353bc78369fd9.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jzoook6 said:

Based on my very short/limited experience with Akros, it doesn't seem clean enough or something to be one? 

This may be one that was found in a "dig".

There are many Akro’s (among other makers) that are out there in "circulation” that were discarded by the factory only to be dug up much later by marble collecting enthusiasts. These discards were thrown out back in the day in rivers, sewers, old landfills and a variety of ways.
There is nothing wrong with that—“digging”-most WVS are ID’d by the strong efforts of the “diggers” out there. If I lived in West Virginia, I would be digging every chance that I had. I still get lucky in Wisconsin once and a while in my vegetable garden:confetti:.
Marble—On!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ric said:

Akro did not make any cat's eye type marbles, Master Glass did, but Master Marble, which came first, did not. I am not sure which of the Master companies made these crazy potato chip looking ones that may or may not be considered cat's eyes but I wish I had a handful of them.

https://marbleconnection.com/uploads/monthly_2020_11/Ric446.jpg.dde913b1cef987ef223353bc78369fd9.jpg

I think it's an Akro too. However Back in the 1990's whenever Bob Block created the very first discussion board for marble collectors on the net, he had also given live chat lectures and discussions explaining most methods of how marbles since MFC too automated gob feeders were made.  Accordingly, relating to Akro and cats, it's the Akro Sparkler's creation that's known to have been the first to develop the injection method that cat eyes are made even today. . If you have seen Berri Fox's Marble King Utube video of making cats, it actually very simple. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff54 said:

I think it's an Akro too. However Back in the 1990's whenever Bob Block created the very first discussion board for marble collectors on the net, he had also given live chat lectures and discussions explaining most methods of how marbles since MFC too automated gob feeders were made.  Never seen a book or other delivery of information so well and comprehensive for the few who could comprehend what he'd taught.

Accordingly, relating to Akro and cats, it's the Akro Sparkler's creation that's known to have been the first to develop the injection method that cat eyes are made even today. . If you have seen Beri Fox's Marble King Utube video of making cats, the 'injection method' is actually very simple. 

I mean, to do this, it's not exactly as one might imagine: Take each marble and inject color. Rather, in MK's case the cat is dependent on the nozzle used. Regardless, In Vitro multicolored or single, it's the nozzle configuration. 

In Sparklers, Masters or foreign in similar style, I imagine there may be a dependency of a nozzle yet, like MK or a Peltier Banana, they are dumping color into the center of the clear glass in the main base  tank that flows to the bottom. Not exactly injecting except to say, it remains near the center, by what magic I do not know except a potential funneling configuration within the center of tank, maintaining the colored glass in center as it flows through the clear to the nozzle and shear blades. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, akroorka said:

This may be one that was found in a "dig".

There are many Akro’s (among other makers) that are out there in "circulation” that were discarded by the factory only to be dug up much later by marble collecting enthusiasts. These discards were thrown out back in the day in rivers, sewers, old landfills and a variety of ways.
There is nothing wrong with that—“digging”-most WVS are ID’d by the strong efforts of the “diggers” out there. If I lived in West Virginia, I would be digging every chance that I had. I still get lucky in Wisconsin once and a while in my vegetable garden:confetti:.
Marble—On!!

I can't think of anything I'd rather do more than to go dig up some marbles. I am not super far from WV, but I sort of figured all the good places would be inaccessible to the public by now. Let me know if you ever need a digger by proxy lol. 

That's amazing that you have found them in your yard!!! Makes me want to pick up gardening, but I am hobby-capped as it is!

3 hours ago, Jeff54 said:

I think it's an Akro too. However Back in the 1990's whenever Bob Block created the very first discussion board for marble collectors on the net, he had also given live chat lectures and discussions explaining most methods of how marbles since MFC too automated gob feeders were made.  Accordingly, relating to Akro and cats, it's the Akro Sparkler's creation that's known to have been the first to develop the injection method that cat eyes are made even today. . If you have seen Berri Fox's Marble King Utube video of making cats, it actually very simple. 

Thank you, Jeff, great info!!! Based on that, I will now agree that is an akro bc thats exactly what the blue streaks look like--injections. 

19 hours ago, Ric said:

these crazy potato chip looking ones

Hey Ric,

I have a few bags of Master Glass "Cat's Eye" The "Potato Chip" is included.

These bags are so cloudy that it is hard to tell--I have a very bright light.

I am going for some "Ruffles" right now---my wife calls them "gods food". I do not disagree😁.

Marble--On!!

5 hours ago, Jzoook6 said:

Thank you, Jeff, great info!!! Based on that, I will now agree that is an akro bc thats exactly what the blue streaks look like--injections. 

Tank's but Bob deserves the credit. And, that's the thing where Beri Fox's video, making yellow cats, illustrates how it's not 'injected' rather 'incased' might be easier to understand. . 

Regardless, more from Bob's lectures is :"Range of variation."

The Akro box with Sparklers is a certifiable, despite it's not stamped "Sparklers" it's all fresh blood. Bob's discovery and Ron's verification and events are trustworthy. I do not or have never seen 100 count Akro 100 count boxes that did not have "Sparkler" Stamped on them. 

Regardless, seen boxes that did and considering "Range of variation' the Box posted here clearly shows that. It is good enough to see that, some have less than 5 colors and a few do. There's a few where color is not feathering, but like a patch. . This is a given: variation will always happen, albeit some more and others less. . It is dependent on whatever means the manufacture can control. Sparklers clearly show the means and distribution to the entire stream is random to some extent. 

To the point 'There are Akro Sparklers and there are Sparklers' ,but if not 5 colors, it's not.' The box has plenty that are not, plus other original boxes, usually, if it hasn't been refilled with handpicked replacements, it will happen too.  The image of this box is plenty large enough to see them.

The thing as I have understood for decades is, original 100 count, or less, 50, 25 etc. and unopened bags too is potential surprises, some more and some less come with the hunting and gathering game.

In addition, I have Master Marbles with all the colors, including layers into more incased in clear but not the same Clear base mixture Akro's do.  While a few Masters have yellow and light blue with white, that is  the first which draws me in as it seems to be the most frequent. .  Toss a little red and or green, I'm looking closer. Give me some blends from the basic list matching Akro color tones or hues and tones, the same as Akro, only question left is to tone of its clear base. . And finally, does either or both, at least one cut off has a straight line or relatively close. It only gets tricky when a Master has pointy and curved or straight. While ultimately, Who's colors and or type of clear either has. 

Foreigners and later Master's just don't compete against it. 

To the "Must have 5 colors rule: To my understanding, this is good advice, "Pick the best examples" B/C it's where it may gain or at least retain value or leave you hunting still, for best in your collection. 'Range of variation is a constant so, not all will be the best. Not to leave out, in Sparklers and others years ago, they're intended to be random so they would not look the same. You can look to Japan Cats as redundance or dilution of the same thing gets dull quick. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff54 said:

Tank's but Bob deserves the credit. And, that's the thing where Beri Fox's video, making yellow cats, illustrates how it's not 'injected' rather 'incased' might be easier to understand. .

I just want to say how happy I am you've joined us here, Jeff. Your experience is obvious and adds much to the discussion. So thanks for that!

2 hours ago, akroorka said:

Hey Ric,

I have a few bags of Master Glass "Cat's Eye" The "Potato Chip" is included.

These bags are so cloudy that it is hard to tell--I have a very bright light.

I am going for some "Ruffles" right now---my wife calls them "gods food". I do not disagree😁.

Marble--On!!

Thanks for the info Art, I sorta figured it was MG and not MM. Do you have any loose "potato chip cat's eyes" to trade? I sure would like to have a color palette full.

21 hours ago, Ric said:

They do look like potato chips!!!! Thank you for sharing those. Based on the pretty base glass, are the top two potato chip guys? 

image.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jzoook6 said:

They do look like potato chips!!!! Thank you for sharing those. Based on the pretty base glass, are the top two potato chip guys? 

You may have one there--the bottom left is a MK imho, the bottom right looks crappy enough to be a Master Glass cat

Please do not take off and run with the "Potato Chips" mention. Like @wvrons says, one mention of a name on the interweb and a name takes off.

Master Glass cateyes are some of the worst ever made by anyone in the entire world--I like an underdog but none of them deserve a name or any notoriety.

They are collected by me because they are the worst--but I like them just the same--kindof like a beat up "german handmade"--they all deserve a place.

Marble--On!!

36 minutes ago, akroorka said:

Please do not take off and run with the "Potato Chips" mention. Like @wvrons says, one mention of a name on the interweb and a name takes off.

So I should go ahead and cancel the skywriter I had lined up for tomorrow or ? 

• Haha 1