Very small yellow base/red...patch?

TNG

Ron, I found some tidbits that I compiled years ago.   I find Berry Pink fascinating.   

In 1930, the census said he was an executive for a rubber mill.  That would have been Morris Rosenthal's rubber mill.

That double compartment bag which Pink invented --  the Rosenthal company owned the patent.  That patent was filed in 1931.

A Playthings trade magazine from November 1932 features Rosenthal and says Berry Pink is their sales manager.

Then Pink had the falling out with Rosenthal and he quickly invented a whole new biography.   

For example, his entry in the 1939 edition of Who's Who in American Jewry says he was in the U.S. Intelligence Department during those years.  Then according to his new biography,  he left the Intelligence Department in 1933 and starting  making marbles and reflectors in 1934.   

That's quite the transition ... or would be if that's what really happened.   

I know that he worked for Rosenthal.  And I give credit to Rosenthal for giving Pink the opportunity to network with marble makers, leading to the ambitious Pink's opportunity to eventually become the Marble King.  

• Award 1

I think it was Brian Graham who tried through different sources from mine to come up with any evidence to back up Pink's claims about his collegiate and naval accomplishments.  The result was that this looks like more of Pink's falsified bio.  Also, Pink's birth year kept moving forward in various recountings to the census and in articles.  He was born in the 1890's, but he kept shaving a year or two at a time off his age as the decades passed.

A "funny" coincidence is that back when I was looking into these things, I traced the Rosenthal family and their industries through many decades, and one of the brothers who headed the Rosenthal companies had a son whose actual bio resembled the one that Pink appears to have made up.  

Beyond the hard facts that we are able to establish, which are many, I have my own theories.  I suspect that a 30-something-year-old Pink was more than a little insecure about the Rosenthal dynasty and that the insecurity fed both his ambition and his need to blot the Rosenthals out of his resume as he went on after the embarrassment of Rosenthal's lawsuit against him.

But what this has to do with a small red and yellow patch?  Nothing other that my musings about how marbles made at a Pink-affiliated factory in the early 30's would be reasonable marbles to find in Rosenthal packaging since that seemed to me like it would have been the point for Pink and/or Rosenthal to be affiliating themselves with such a factory during that time period. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TNG said:

The lore here is wild, A+ reading. Here is an excerpt from my favorite article about Pink that may provide some background as to wanting to shave off some years from his age @Steph 

image.png.99691f5dfb606d6137e5ac586338a239.png

LOL ... yup!  

From L.E. Alley father of WV swirls book.  In 1931 NGBD list L.E. Alley as owner of Lawrence Glass Novelty Company Sistersville WV. Product line is marbles. Employed 50 men and women in 1931.

American Machine made marbles page 37 says, Apparently some legal problems developed while in Sistersville and Berry Pink left the company.  Paul Simon Essof of Sistersville stated that Pink left as a result of a dispute over a marble packaging machine. 

From L.E. Alley father of West Virginia swirls book. In April 1931 The Lawrence Glass Novelty was incorporated. In late 1931 or early 1932 Lawrence Alley had left Sistersville to start a marble factory in Pennsboro WV.   In 1932 the company Lawrence Alley Glass is listed as incorporated with Bery Pink as Treasure and purchasing agent.. There were legal problems and Alley sold out.to possibly Morris Rosenthal. There was a law suit. The case was Berry Pink plaintiff, against Morris Rosenthal and the Rosenthal Company of New York. Date is 15 January 1934. The case went to the Supreme Court of the State of New York. The court at the defendants request refused to dismiss the case on 21 April 1934. I do not have a document for the outcome of this case. Berry Pink had been employed by The Rosenthal Company previously in 1922. 

In 1931 Berry Pink suggested to Rosenthal that he acquire the Lawrence Glass Novelty Company. With whom he had been doing business with for some time. The terms gave Berry Pink a monthly salary of $500.00 and 50% of the net profit from the marble sales. That was fulfilled, the income of Pink each year from 1931 through 1933 was $11,500.00. The major dispute was over 50% of the issued capital stock of Lawrence Glass Novelty that Pink claimed he was suppose to receive. Somehow Berry Pink became head of the company after Alley left. 

In December 1934 Pink who was called head of the company was tried in Tyler County WV and found innocent of stealing two marbles packaging machines from the Lawrence Glass Novelty plant. Berry Pink who is called head of the company, was found innocent of stealing two marble packaging machines from the company. 

Berry Pink worked with and sold marbles earlier than being at Lawrence Glass Novelty in 1931. 1934 Berry Pink was affiliated with Peltier Glass, selling their marbles, in Marble King packages. Long before there was a company named Marble King.  Which later Berry Pink was one of the owners. 

It was a rough road with Rosenthal and Pink in business. Rosenthal sued Berry Pink in January 1934 . All the way to the NY Supreme Court. Rosenthal had Berry Pink tried for theft in December of 1934, and he was found innocent.  No surprise that Alley left them at Sistersville and moved on.  What legal problems happened that Alley sold out to Rosenthal or Berry Pink ? I don't have the answer to that.  Maybe Alley just seen the legal problems coming soon ?

I was wrong Berry Pink was employed by Rosenthal.  Pink did exagerate his achievements as well as changing his age. He was also involved in illegal cock fighting in WV. 

Nothing yet in any of this has convinced me that Alley ever produced patch style marbles at Sistersville WV . I have maybe 300 patch marbles dug at the Sistersville site and every one of those can be matched with Akro patch marbles. I am convinced that there are marbles and cullet at the Sistersville site that were made by other companies other than Alley.   

• Like 1

When cullet is found at a site that does not match the sites operators or manufacturer what does that generally mean? Was cullet sold or passed around between companies to compare coloration with or get a feel for what the other companies were working with?

A few times over the years cullet was hard to get and in low supply. Some marble companies at times made their own cullet, and then made it into marbles.  Cullet and marbles were sold between companies. Some companies shared the same cullet has type and supply. Some cullet was left behind unused because after they received it, they found out that the coefficent was to far different than their normal glass.  Which causes fractures. I don't think they bought cullet from each other to get a feel or see what another company was working with. In the 1930's most companies were making all their own glass from raw batch.  In the 1940's most had to switch to buying and using cullet for marbles.  Buying used glass scrap was cheaper than making their own glass from raw ingredients.  Cullet found at a site not used which does not match their production is usually big question marks. It can be a mystery for years and sometimes it brings about answers. About half of the US marble factory sites had only cullet and marbles that match something that factory site produced.  It is always the majority. Then probe, search and try to find out why something is out of place.  Akro, Peltier, CAC, Vitro, Ravenswood and Alley at Pennsboro site, were 95-98% of what was found there matched up with something they made. The Heaton site had at least six different companies marbles found there. Plus I found two slags there and two others were found. It is strange when you find marbles at a company site that are older than that company. I found a 1 1/2 inch German white latticino three feet deep at Vitro. Within two feet outside of the production floor building.  I found two pieces of CAC cullet at Sistersville and half of a CAC swirl there. St.Marys WV Alley site contained lots of Alleys, Marble King and Peltier marbles. It even had rolls and rolls of Peltier plastic bags to be packaged.  But all three companies had a interest or ties at some time with this same site.  Each site has different reasons why some cullet and different marbles are found there. Just as each company had different reasons that they discarded or dumped mint ready to sell or ship marbles at or near the site. Still several mysteries and questions to be answered with marbles.  But each year more and sometimes better information comes to us. 

• Award 1