Very small yellow base/red...patch?

TNG

We need @Steph to take a look at this thread. I know there was considerable debate about where Rosenthal acquired the peewees for their games and I am not sure if it has been resolved. The fact is that Akro made very few marbles at the 00 size (9/16") let alone smaller 000, peewee, size mibs. And to fill their game boxes, Rosenthal would have needed a ton of them so . . .?

31 minutes ago, Ric said:

We need @Steph to take a look at this thread. I know there was considerable debate about where Rosenthal acquired the peewees for their games and I am not sure if it has been resolved. The fact is that Akro made very few marbles at the 00 size (9/16") let alone smaller 000, peewee, size mibs. And to fill their game boxes, Rosenthal would have needed a ton of them so . . .?

Weren't there some pee - wee's that Akro put in a box of popeyes, called "swee peas" or something like that ?? I know some form of pee-wee came along w/ in a box of Popeyes, I believe it was @wvrons who was saying something about it if I remember right ??

Found it ;  called a Swee pea, I suppose after the Popeye comic character ?

LINK ::  https://www.allaboutmarbles.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=52549&p=378165&hilit=popeye+box+pee+wee#p378165

LINK ::  https://allaboutmarbles.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45129&p=331194&hilit=Swee'+PeA#p331194

Just now, Chad G. said:

Weren't there some pee - wee's that came in a box of popeyes, called "swee peas" or something like that ?? I know some form of pee-wee came along w/ in a box of Popeyes, I believe it was @wvrons who was saying something about it if I remember right ??

You're right many Popeye boxes had a single peewee in the compartment with the bag. Art has talked about it too. I am not saying these marbles aren't Akro - they sure look it to me. I just want to hear if and how the debate was resolved.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric said:

@Chad G. Thanks for the links. So any Akro peewee is called a Swee'pee, regardless of colors?

:dunno: I'm waitin to see what Ron says on the matter, I've had several of the pee-wee yellow w/ a red patch as well as the yellow w/ a blue patch, definitely Akro, IMO. Maybe @Steph and @wvrons will both stop by and post a bit ?

• Award 1

20 minutes ago, Ric said:

. . . I just want to hear if and how the debate was resolved.

@Chad G. Quoting myself, aka, doing an Art . . . lol

Maybe this is how the debate was resolved - finding that peewee patches were placed in those Popeye boxes . . .

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, akroorka said:

"Sweet Pea" makes sense--that was Popeyes little dude--who knows where he came from??

Swee'Pea is Popeye and Olive Oyl's child, or the peewee marble packaged in those Popeye boxes. A Sweet Pea is a green based Vitro with yellow and red/pink (or a flowering plant, or a vegetable). Let's not make things anymore confusing than they already are. lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ric said:

I don't have an answer.  I wanted them to be Alley.   I liked the thought that Rosenthal employee Berry Pink might have used his Alley connections to get patches into those boxes.

But we've been assured the patches couldn't possibly have been Alley.

So I kinda vaguely went with the idea that they were Akro, which you're now calling into doubt. 

So ?????

It looks goofy with my other akros but I can see where they come from now in regards to either being from the games or packaged as a bonus/teaser with the popeye's, seems like just how they got into those boxes might just be lost information though. Thanks everyone for taking a look!

9 minutes ago, chicagocyclist said:

You are correct. Ron has personally spoken with the woman who was responsible for putting the Sweepea in every box of Popeye marbles.  She placed it right near the leather carrying bag.  It's named after Popeye and Olive's child.  Here is a photograph of mine sitting nestled in amongst the Popeyes, which Ron has seen and that's how I came upon the information!!

20230112_221623.jpg

Is that holiday themed one (Northeast of your sweetpea) like extra big??

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Steph said:

So I kinda vaguely went with the idea that they were Akro, which you're now calling into doubt.

Oh no, I am not calling anything into doubt - they look Akro enough to me. Maybe they ran a peewee machine to make them only for wholesale to jobbers like Rosenthal, and just thought it would be cute to put one in those Popeye boxes. I mean, Akro never sold bags or boxes of 000 marbles under their own name, correct? I wonder if anyone has found any paperwork indicating that Akro sold peewees in bulk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Oh no, I am not calling anything into doubt - they look Akro enough to me. Maybe they ran a peewee machine to make them only for wholesale to jobbers like Rosenthal, and just thought it would be cute to put one in those Popeye boxes. I mean, Akro never sold bags or boxes of 000 marbles under their own name, correct? I wonder if anyone has found any paperwork indicating that Akro sold peewees in bulk.

Good thoughts and questions.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Akro made pee wee marbles. Patch marbles, corkscrew type and others.  But like most companies that produced pee wee marbles, they did not do it on a regular basis like the majority of their production. Not many companies sold pee wee marbles routinely in bulk.  Most pee wee marbles were probably a special order. How many uses or needs were there for pee wee size, compared to the other sizes ? Most or all the larger marble companies produced pee wee marbles. Even Vitro which most people do not realize because we never see them. That is because all the Vitro pee wee production was clear or single color transparent pee wee 7/16 and less marbles. Jabo had the original Vitro pee wee machine and Dave made two runs on it at Jabo in late 2011 or 2012. MK made lots of pee wee marbles. Peltier made pee wee marbles.  Ravenswood and Alley made pee wee marbles. Pee wee size marbles were a extra income but not the normal weekly or even monthly production.  As for the pee wee in the Akro Popeye box sets. I think Mike Johnson interviewed a woman who packaged the Akro Popeye box sets. She said that every Popeye box set had a pee wee marble included in with the bag.  I have asked Roger Hardy about the pee wee in each Popeye box set and he said yes each box had one pee wee in it. Each Popeye box set in his collection has a pee wee in with the bag.  His wife Claudia said the pee wee in the Popeye box set is called Swee Pea for Popeye and Olive Oils baby.  All the pee wee marbles that I have seen in the Popeye box sets were all Akro patch type marbles. I wanted to talk with the woman who packaged the Popeye box sets. but she had passed away. I doubt that Akro made the pee wee patch marbles just for the Popeye box sets. It was probably more like we have extras of those tiny marbles. Why don't we include one in each Popeye box. The kids will like that little marble. Then it was a routine. Akro may have run the pee wee machine once, twice  or three times a year ?  Maybe at the end of a run or order they wanted to empty the furnace and move in the pee wee machine to use the rest of that particular glass. Most times at Jabo the pee wee marbles were made as a extra, not planned, not standard steady production.  Different people have posted pictures here and AAM of pee wee corkscrews.  I think any pee wees were produced in very short numbers compared to regular production.  

A Akro Swee Pea 1/2 inch pee wee marble and a Vitro 3/4 inch Sweet Pea marble are two totally different marbles.  Many different marbles have the same or similar names now.  Such has Superman, Liberty and many others.   Are all Akro pee wee marbles called Swee Pea, not for me. A corkscrew pee wee would not be a Swee Pea to me. A Akro Swee Pea for me and I think of a Akro pee wee patch. 

The always safe and sure, to use is  Akro pee wee marble.  If you want to add patch or whatever type, ok .  If you want to add a Swee Pea name, ok.  It is a big help if you know any named marbles, name background.  But that list is so long now that no human can learn them all or the names background, why, by who, when ? 

• Award 1
  • Thanks 1

Berry Pink and Rosenthal and Alley were partners at Sistersville WV.  Alley never ever produced a patch type or style marble. Different marbles other than Alley swirls were found at the Sistersville site. One main reason is Rosenthal was a jobber and bought marbles from who ever was the cheapest and had them.  At Sisterville WV, L.E. Alley made the marbles, Berry Pink had the patent on the bags and many of the packages. Rosenthal was the jobber filling the packages.  All three worked together ok at Sistersville, until Rosenthal sued Berry Pink for stealing a packaging machine. Then Alley left the site as usual, as he had always done in the past when things got heated. Berry Pink won the suit in court, but of course left Rosenthal. Rosenthal remained at the Sistersville location for a few years after Alley and Berry Pink were gone. So Akro and other companies marbles were found at the Sistersville WV marble site where Alley produced marbles. Because Rosenthal a jobber was there many more years than Alley was. Plus Alley had good ties with Akro and probably bought Akro cullet to make his marbles with.  We know Rosenthal packaged many different companies marbles. Akro, Vitro, Peltier, probably Alleys in Marble King bags for Marble King Berry Pink.  I don't think Berry Pink was a employee of Rosenthal.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wvrons said:

I don't think Berry Pink was a employee of Rosenthal.  

On this little point, I feel 100% confident that he was.  Seems I knew his job title there once upon a time.  Now I have to go digging.