Vitro or Marble King?

Melissa

2 hours ago, Melissa said:

How do you tell the difference in these? Do you go by just the seams and not the colors

Colors and seams can both be important but sometimes neither helps. I haven't spent any significant time consulting original packaging to try and figure these types out because knowing who made them will not make them any more or less attractive to the vast majority of collectors, me included.

24 minutes ago, Ric said:

Colors and seams can both be important but sometimes neither helps. I haven't spent any significant time consulting original packaging to try and figure these types out because knowing who made them will not make them any more or less attractive to the vast majority of collectors, me included.

But doesn't it drive you crazy not knowing?  ;)  

4 minutes ago, Melissa said:

But doesn't it drive you crazy not knowing?  ;)  

. . . only a tiny bit. When you've collected as long as I have you come to realize that sometimes the cost/benefit analysis just doesn't favor worrying about it.

• Like 1

Just now, Ric said:

. . . only a tiny bit. When you've collected as long as I have you come to realize that sometimes the cost/benefit analysis just doesn't favor worrying about it.

Thanks.  I'll try to set these ones aside and be okay with not knowing.  :)  

2 minutes ago, Melissa said:

Thanks.  I'll try to set these ones aside and be okay with not knowing.  :)  

There will always be plenty to learn, Melissa, it's not like you'll ever get to a point where you're bored because you already know all there is to know about marbles. It's one of the things that attracted me to the hobby. Everyone still has plenty to learn.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ric said:

There will always be plenty to learn, Melissa, it's not like you'll ever get to a point where you're bored because you already know all there is to know about marbles. It's one of the things that attracted me to the hobby. Everyone still has plenty to learn.

That's great, because I love learning.  I think that's why I enjoy this hobby so much.

The only thing that will limit your learning is your interest. I like a lot of Vacor marbles but I don't know all that much about Vacors in general, mainly because they just don't interest me that much. If you find the types you posted interesting enough, you'll go out and learn everything you can to figure it all out - then you can teach me about them. 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric said:

The only thing that will limit your learning is your interest. I like a lot of Vacor marbles but I don't know all that much about Vacors in general, mainly because they just don't interest me that much. If you find the types you posted interesting enough, you'll go out and learn everything you can to figure it all out - then you can teach me about them. 🙂

That's where I'm struggling at the moment because I haven't fully decided what exactly I want to collect.   At this point, I'm more of a hoarder than a collector.   

2 minutes ago, Melissa said:

That's where I'm struggling at the moment because I haven't fully decided what exactly I want to collect.   At this point, I'm more of a hoarder than a collector.   

I think that is where most collectors start out but as Alan is fond of saying (I'm paraphrasing) - there's a big difference between a horde and a collection. My general rule is that I don't get rid of any marble that I find interesting and can't identify, which means I have a lot of marbles! lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ric said:

I think that is where most collectors start out but as Alan is fond of saying (I'm paraphrasing) - there's a big difference between a horde and a collection. My general rule is that I don't get rid of any marble that I find interesting and can't identify, which means I have a lot of marbles! lol

I was able to finally part with some asian cats eyes and clearies recently.  This is what I consider progress at this point.  lol

Just now, Melissa said:

I was able to finally part with some asian cats eyes and clearies recently.  This is what I consider progress at this point.  lol

So you are on the right track - it starts with baby steps. 🙂

• Haha 1

Just now, Melissa said:

I'm almost ready to get rid of some conquerors.  I mean, nobody really needs 3 gallons of conquerors.  

Well, that depends on what they look like. 😁

• Haha 1

On 3/3/2023 at 9:58 AM, Ric said:

Well stated.  If it's a Master or a oddball Akro but they're both only worth a buck and it doesn't matter so much.  I'm not putting on a display to museum where I'm going to be judged by my accuracy.  It can be close and close as good enough!