3/4 Akro Superman Cork

Fire1981

Yeah I don’t get it either, there have been and are several of these anytime you check eBay. Plus this one has several hits and sparkles and an annealing fracture which should drop it down to around a “good” rating, these big ones have been going for $20-$40 and are mostly dug. I bought 20 of them years ago for $5 each! The 5/8”-3/4” ones go for more and are usually in better shape and often more complex in design. It just seems these Superman mibs are popular all of a sudden. Ditto with MCR Pelts, now going for $15-$36! Even more if a so called Miller swirl! Go figure! 

Jon

4 hours ago, chicagocyclist said:

I swear I see some fractures in one of the shots, actually is it several of them, but I'd have to verify if that was accurate or not before I pay 71 bucks for it.

Yes those are fractures, fractures are a common trait in the Akro superman & Indian Blanket marbles. The fracturing usually occurs in the red transparent part of the cork, the transparent red glass was incompatible with the other glass, reason being most if not all of them where dug factory rejects. I have a few out of hundreds w/o fractures and that haven't been polished, some IMO (11/16ths size)  made the grade but not many. Ron called the glass incompatibility the coefficient I believe ??

The smallest is 11/16ths & in exceptional mint condition w/ no defects, the big one next to it is polished, none of these have fractures, I only kept the polished one because of the size,  .83 I believe ? The first has all the hallmarks of a dug marble, except for fracs.

image.thumb.png.c70e309df477901506116c60d4cf53cf.png

Here's a closeup of the big polished example next to the 11/16ths

43 (2).PNG

THis is the one that exhibits the most dug qualities, the glass appears aged, like it was buried or wet and is starting to undergo a chemical transformation. You can see the similarities in the glass surface on Fires example. I agree, the one that sold on Feebay was a terrible example, full of fractures, I think they were going for the size which many of the dug examples were, large.

41 (2).PNG

6 hours ago, Chad G. said:

Yes those are fractures, fractures are a common trait in the Akro superman & Indian Blanket marbles. The fracturing usually occurs in the red transparent part of the cork, the transparent red glass was incompatible with the other glass, reason being most if not all of them where dug factory rejects. I have a few out of hundreds w/o fractures and that haven't been polished, some IMO (11/16ths size)  made the grade but not many. Ron called the glass incompatibility the coefficient I believe ??

The smallest is 11/16ths & in exceptional mint condition w/ no defects, the big one next to it is polished, none of these have fractures, I only kept the polished one because of the size,  .83 I believe ? The first has all the hallmarks of a dug marble, except for fracs.

image.thumb.png.c70e309df477901506116c60d4cf53cf.png

Here's a closeup of the big polished example next to the 11/16ths

43 (2).PNG

THis is the one that exhibits the most dug qualities, the glass appears aged, like it was buried or wet and is starting to undergo a chemical transformation. You can see the similarities in the glass surface on Fires example. I agree, the one that sold on Feebay was a terrible example, full of fractures, I think they were going for the size which many of the dug examples were, large.

41 (2).PNG

Thanks for the info on that type.  Had not heard it applied to Indian blankets and it is an incompatibility of the glass coefficiency, that is what I have heard,  as well.