Fluorescent Oxblood marbles

Plutonianfire

Your reds glowing like that would probably be a sign that they are not oxblood.

I pulled out a few oxbloods and my blacklight to check and I have no glow in the oxblood area.  

I'll try to find some more oxbloods from at least one more maker and then try to muster up some photos. 

• Like 1

Here is some Akro oxblood and some Jabo.   No glow in the oxblood parts.   Some reflected glow on the middle marbles from the lemonades on the left, but that lemonade base is the only glowing part here.   

20230415_134402.jpg

20230415_134450.jpg

• Like 1

Your red glow might be from manganese.  

There are many chemical components which give UV glow -- cadmium, manganese, selenium, calcium, boron,  etc. -- but I have trouble keeping straight which does which.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plutonianfire said:

I’ve noticed that “oxblood” marbles have a bright orange fluorescence pattern that differs from the typical fluorescent green from uranium in “depression glass”. Please see attached photos under normal light and long wave UV light.  Any thoughts?

None of the OP have any "Oxblood" Plutonianfire.

I just call them like I see them.

Nice images and nice marbles as well--just not ox.

Marble--On!!

37 minutes ago, Plutonianfire said:

One of them looks like a corkscrew

Yes, the third looks like it could possibly turn out to be a corkscrew.  More views needed.  

I'll say "West Virginia Swirls" for the other three.  

16 hours ago, Steph said:

Your red glow might be from manganese.  

There are many chemical components which give UV glow -- cadmium, manganese, selenium, calcium, boron,  etc. -- but I have trouble keeping straight which does which.  

FB_IMG_1670078914640.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Plutonianfire said:

One of them looks like a corkscrew

Yes, this one may be an Akro cork but the UV reaction in it will have no bearing on value in this case. AS said there are certain Akro, Alley and a few other manufacturers that have marbles where uv. reaction is a requirement to qualify them as being the type they are labeled as. But uv reactions in whole have little bearing in changing the value of common marbles, they made them by the millions.

image.png.69b0a8456834c2860e6cc152f1ea8392.png

• Award 1