Old Vitros?

Kimbernugs

I would have passed these off as Imperials but this guy had them as a kid and hasn't purchased any marbles since that time. Very credible. Are they Vitro and is there any value in them? I have a whole bunch of them now. About 70+  and about 9/16ths

Thanks!

20230517_105637.jpg

16 minutes ago, Kimbernugs said:

I would have passed these off as Imperials but this guy had them as a kid and hasn't purchased any marbles since that time. Very credible. Are they Vitro and is there any value in them? I have a whole bunch of them now. About 70+  and about 9/16ths

Thanks!

20230517_105637.jpg

Despite the provenance, they seem like Imperials to me.

21 minutes ago, Carowill said:

Despite the provenance, they seem like Imperials to me.

They totally do to me as well. But when I suggested they were newer, he said absolutely not. So I thought either he forgot that he bought them or something else. So I appreciate the info.

How old is this guy?  When was he a kid?  If he was a kid in the 70's/80's I suppose they could be from then.  But they could also be from last year.   Modern Asian. 

• Like 1

Imperials for sure. I bought them as a kid in the 80s. Back then we called them rainbows because of the different color stripes. I can't believe I actually wanted these as a kid lol, they are so common now but back then they weren't seen much, at least for me. 

Al, is it the color combo that puts them back to the 70s? I do remember buying these 3 color striped ones in the 80s but might not have been the same colors, or they could have been stock that was still being sold?

• Like 1

The guy got a bit miffed when I told him these were "newer" marbles and insisted he had them as a kid. He is in his late 70's, so... I thought I had seen some similar listed as Vitros so I thought, well, maybe? But when he handed me a bag of all mint, they did not bare the battle scars of his other marbles, which were legit Akro corks, etc. That right there should have been the biggest clue for me. I allowed myself to feel intimidated when I'M THE ONE WHO COLLECTS MARBLES. I should not be such a pushover. But I didn't want to offend, so no harm no foul as he donated them to the patient marble basket.

• Like 1
  • Award 1