Vitro Sparkler with multiple colour canes ?

Edward

You need to be careful with what you read online. I have heard of Vitros and I have heard of Sparklers but I have never heard of a "Vitro Sparkler". 🙂

I agree it is foreign, and tend to think Vacor, like Steph.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ric said:

You need to be careful with what you read online. I have heard of Vitros and I have heard of Sparklers but I have never heard of a "Vitro Sparkler". 🙂

I agree it is foreign, and tend to think Vacor, like Steph.

Bit of a detour but this topic has been bugging me for a little while and I keep forgetting to make a post about it. Ron had posted a marble that he identified as a Vitro Sparkler a few years ago in a big Vitro ID thread on the AAM boards. The mib he posted does seem pretty different-looking from an Akro Sparkler, but it's been difficult to find more information about if these are indeed a thing or not, how to ID Vitro Sparkler vs. Akro Sparkler if they are a thing, etc etc. I know you know your Vitros, @Ric - maybe you can help demystify this one for me?

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 12.16.50 AM.png

Yeah, @Edwardmarble is a Foreign sparkler. (My old photo of one below). I can't imagine how you connected this to Vitro? There is a thread here, regarding Vito Sparkler in 2016, but it's sarcastic about an ebay seller who hasn't a clue what the heck he was talking about.

Oddly enough just a "Vitro Sparkler" search at google brings up the old thread here: Vitro Sparkler Brushed Oxblood Popeye - General Marble & Glass Chat - Marble Connection

And PicClick still has part of the ebay listing here: VITRO SPARKLER UNIQUE Superior Brushed Oxblood Patch Popeye 6 Color Marble #1 $29.97 - PicClick

@Nate Yes that's a Vitro and it's not uncommon to be like that, yet nobody refers to Vitros as Sparklers. More commonly it's a patch. In fact I may have thought they were a type of Sparkler, many, many years ago. Regardless, it's the glass Vitro used that sets it apart.

As topic question goes, nobody is entirely sure who made these. They seem to pop up in Europe but mine and many others surfaced in the USA in the mid-late 1990's when, for lack of who, when and where became the first to virtually attain the  'Foreign Sparkler' identity in this nomenclature. There are other 'Foreign sparklers' known to be packaged in Germany, but this type is very much different. Personally, I've never seen or heard any reference to Vacor having made these.

originalforiensparkler..jpg.6c2cd6679f19b6c6d9865bd95be6f584.jpg

4 hours ago, Nate said:

Bit of a detour but this topic has been bugging me for a little while and I keep forgetting to make a post about it. Ron had posted a marble that he identified as a Vitro Sparkler a few years ago in a big Vitro ID thread on the AAM boards. The mib he posted does seem pretty different-looking from an Akro Sparkler, but it's been difficult to find more information about if these are indeed a thing or not, how to ID Vitro Sparkler vs. Akro Sparkler if they are a thing, etc etc. I know you know your Vitros, @Ric - maybe you can help demystify this one for me?

I never heard Ron refer to any Vitro as a "Sparkler" - maybe he was trying to start something, I really don't know. To me, it sounds like he might have just been trying to be funny. The sort of structure that marble shows is not exactly rare on Trilites and even some Conquerors, and I'd just consider them variants. Vitro never purposefully tried to make marbles like this, AFAIK, and it sounds like the moniker never really took, which is a good thing in my mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff54 said:

Personally, I've never seen or heard any reference to Vacor having made these.

There is no doubt that Vacor made some sunburst/sparkler type marbles - some were called Sunsets, as I recall, and from what I have seen, their structure is not very consistent so it wouldn't surprise me if at least one of the non-Vitros in this thread is a Vacor.

• Like 1