What is it?

Animal Annie

This antique glass marble belonged to my grandfather and from research it is a naked ribbon core swirl, tri-color featuring yellow orange and green. It is not divided but does appear to be ridged which I could not find any information on or even if those were made in the ribbon core swirl variety. Any help, including value, would be greatly appreciated. 1423730985_IMG_20230623_125558342_HDR2.thumb.jpg.d73ca47b34f41c3fb92c7fc53f1c1846.jpg446375543_IMG_20230623_125832549_HDR2.thumb.jpg.9ea3290fb17dc48eb4af691569e5bad7.jpg

IMG_20230623_130012722_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Animal Annie said:

This antique glass marble belonged to my grandfather

Hang in there Annie--you will get it figured out--I am sure of it.

I cannot wait to see it--Patience my friend---and by the way---

Welcome!!

Marble--On!!

• Thanks 1

Sorry my phone is a total POS. Using my tablet now. I have even emailed sites for an appraisal & get nothing in response. If it isn't much, just say so, don't ignore me. Lol!

I just love it though, it has me absolutely curious about it & the fact I can't find anything about it or similar says something. I'm like a Google Guru, HA!

IMG_20230623_125621465_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230623_125656273_HDR~2.jpg

Crazy it's not worth much of anything because it is definitely beautiful but the machine made Factor does explain why there are no seams.

It is odd for to be that new though because Grandpa died in the 1990s after growing up during the depression era working for the civilian conservation corps and B&O Railroad.

You do have seams on this Annie, you're expecting things in a handmade or cane-cut German glass marble you'd picked up searching google and relative's to your gramps age. Thing is, Cats like yours, from Japan, Mexico and China were made in tremendous production from the mid 1950's and continue in one form or another today.

There's no limit to the amount of cats that remain, also because kids didn't like them in the 60's. So, many, and at a time when kids were to stop playing as passionately as they had in the 1950's and below.

You would not be alone with an opinion that you had a toy or collectible that your grandparents may have had as a kid. In antiques and toys, this is a regularity.

In fact, the glass marbles that were believed to belong to Ann Frank during WWII  that were inside a museum dedicated to her, had some cat eyes which were not made during WWII.

• Award 2

Jeff54

I'm used to aging glass bottles and jars, that's why I am looking for different or more obvious seams. The bubbles inside also threw me off because with glass bottles/jars, the more imperfections & bubbles the older the glass. Even colors like blue or pink,  can tell you what era it was produced in due to the chemicals used in production during a particular time frame.

MARBLES ARE A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BEAST! Much respect to everyone!

LOL!!!!!!!

With Grandpa it was hard to know if it was anything of any monetary value or just sentimental. He was a bit of a hoarder but also collected coins & sports memorabilia.

I absolutely love history so you hit me there with the Ann Frank info. I definitely have a whole new respect for marbles. There are wayyyy more colors, patterns, styles, makes, models, swirls, stripes, OH MY! than you find in the glass bottle/jar world. There weren't as many manufacturers either, glass bottles/jars weren't shipped from overseas in large quantities for obvious reasons.

It's a whole new game in the marble world! 😉