the elusive Kato

tankgrrl29

is this a Kato? i seem to remember them being described at having turquoise ribbons with oxblood - these are transparent midnight blue ribbons with a line of "oxblood"

any clue what these sell for? i don't collect MK so i'd be willing to discuss sale or trade, but i have no idea what the price range would be. i do like it....i've never seen one like this before.

1d74df88.jpg

4a246b56.jpg

40c514dd.jpg

Wow I just saw one of those in a NM condition at antique shop with some other white MKs, I thought it was a bumble bee, They were asking 50.00 for the jar, thought that was high. Cool marble I am going back to take a closer look. I did pick up a mint spiderman for 10.00. Jay

dont look blue green enuff sandy, its also got the st marys eye thing goin on....hybrid. but not the kato. the ones ive seen were really a turquoise color. they're like a cubscout/girlscout ribbons laid over each other. i posted pics of one the other day but i lost the pics right now. they sell purty good when they're right and for purty good money. btw ive seen 6 of em. they're really hard to find, the oxblood dont really mix in there either.

Here is a pic of a girlscout, your "kato", a cubscout and Chris' Kato.

You say it has both green and blue in them.....Well I see it in Chris'

maybe the green is under the blue on hers and on yours..... the blue must be under the green???? because it looks like a girlscout to me.

Chris' is definately a Kato.

it is turquiose.

I'm sure there must be variations.

kato.jpg

all the vintage MKs i've seen had opaque ribbons. the fact that mine and steve's both have transparent ribbons makes me think they're variations of the same thing (steve's is more green-blue and mine is more blue-green).

but steve, what did you mean about the "st mary's eye" and the oxblood? are you saying mine have those and therefore that makes it not a kato?

you'd have to see it in hand sandy. its not a girlscout, not green yellow. my pics haint that great. there is blue in that mib. its turquoise believe me... i've never seen a kato with that oxblood that's what i was sayin chris. and turquoise is blue green not midnight blue. im not argurin about it im just statin what the guy told me who buys my top mks. it goes back to the old sayin, its yours call it what you want. lololol im done---- its a kato steve

Hi..not a Kato for a Kato is a variation or error marble based off the girl scout. When you first see one you think it is a girl scout but then you notice the green ribbon and pole are strikingly teal in color, a definate beautiful blue green. IT forms a very distinct color all of its own. This is a beauty that you have and sort of a two toned version of a cub scout if my monitor is showing true color. I like it very much and have not seen it before. Beautiful pole on this marble that looks like it is giving great contrast between the normal cub scout blue then a deeper navy or almost black. Anyway..Heck of a nice marble. My monitor is turning green...LOL...Jill

• 4 months later...

Na chris just send it to me- you don't want it-- just kidding sure looks like one to me, I can't be 100 per cent sure of colors but if it is turquiose it is a good one. It has the oxblood stripe that about 80% of them had and the lines and the tinge of red in the yellow all looks 100% right. The first picture looks sort of blue but the other pic shows sort of turq. and I think It would all look turq If in hand. That is an oxblood stripe in the glass -- 50's marble. nice find.

thanks, jerry. i can't say it's "turquoise" - it's more like a midnight teal blue. the colors are pretty true on my monitor, but that says nothing about what you see :)

jill & duffytrash say the katos look more like girlscouts and can almost be mistaken for them. but you named them, so i figured you'd be the one to ask :D

chris, put up next to a cub scout and see how much difference you have, I might have been in the run when they were changing over just a shade brighter blue, but def. not a cub scout and has all the right markings and the oxblood that makes it a real winner.

I will try to post the original ones we found a few years back chris.

post-574-1158716610_thumb.jpeg