Codd Marble?

Kiwigal

Kiwigal,

I have a couple of the Codd bottles. I’ll have to dig them out and look at them. I do remember watching a vintage video on how they were made. The first pic is supposed to be a marble pulled from a bottle. The second is a snap shot from the video that shows molding the marbles. Looks like they made several at a time.  As they cooled they would break them off. The third is just extra. I’m still trying to find one of these for my collection. It’s called a “Codd’s Wallop” it’s for removing the marble from the gasket. It went on top of the bottle then stuck with the palm of you had. This made a POP. That’s how we got the word “Soda Pop”. I’m not making that up 😉When I find my bottles I’ll report back as to what mine look like. One thing to add, the way these marbles were made in the video was labor intensive and only made a few at a time. I imagine someone must have come up with the idea of buying machine made marbles because of ease and cost. I know this is just speculation but if this is true the ones with the seams and button marks could be from early bottles 

IMG_9174.png

IMG_9178.jpeg

IMG_9175.png

IMG_9175.jpeg

IMG_9178.jpeg

IMG_9174.jpeg

• Like 2

Hey Kiwigal, 

Good news. I found my Codd neck bottle. I finally got a good picture of it and it is identical to yours. I hope you can see it in the photo. It definitely has the button mark and the mold marks. 

IMG_9181.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

10 hours ago, B-rett66 said:

Hey Kiwigal, 

Good news. I found my Codd neck bottle. I finally got a good picture of it and it is identical to yours. I hope you can see it in the photo. It definitely has the button mark and the mold marks. 

IMG_9181.jpeg

Thanks for that...so does that mean mine are codd as tge ones I have are like yours

I have done more research on the Codd Marble. The other posts are correct in they are molded marbles. There is some info here on the Marble Connection way back in the archives on this subject. Hiram Codd was the inventor of this ingenious bottle and sealing system. He did have a patent on it but later he let other companies make his design bottle but they had to buy the marbles, gaskets and the tooling to make the bottle seal. What a guy.  Some of the of the other interesting info I came across was the bottles were returnable. If you could round up 100 bottles and take them in to a general store, they would give you one penny for them. WOW! Couldn’t really get rich. Also Children in those days would break the bottles to get the marble. Guys who look for bottles in old dump sites find evidence of this in the number of broken Codd bottles they find  

3 hours ago, B-rett66 said:

I have done more research on the Codd Marble. The other posts are correct in they are molded marbles. There is some info here on the Marble Connection way back in the archives on this subject. Hiram Codd was the inventor of this ingenious bottle and sealing system. He did have a patent on it but later he let other companies make his design bottle but they had to buy the marbles, gaskets and the tooling to make the bottle seal. What a guy.  Some of the of the other interesting info I came across was the bottles were returnable. If you could round up 100 bottles and take them in to a general store, they would give you one penny for them. WOW! Couldn’t really get rich. Also Children in those days would break the bottles to get the marble. Guys who look for bottles in old dump sites find evidence of this in the number of broken Codd bottles they find  

Wow interesting ...thanks