Who Made This Marble Any Ideas

tnbar

I do not believe that it was decided if this was a Akro Corkscrew or not. I do believe it is. Could it just be a very early one??. There has too be someone out there who as seen or has a very early Akro. ANYBODY???

I still do not believe that nobody has ever seen a corkscrew that looks like this one. Look at all the pics again and read the replys. I would like to put this marble away or sell it but want to get the maker right.

Please help me

• 5 weeks later...
"Many people say that the Akro early corkscrews are the ones that are in the bright colors, based on what's been dug at the site. Prior to 1928 corkscrew patent, Akro only made slags and a type of hand-gathered opaque. There is probably not enough documentation available that would be able to confirm a more specific date on any corkscrew. The hand-gathered marbles with "9"s and tails that have been recovered at the dig site are also a mystery, although most people assume they were some of Akro's first marbles. Since this isn't a slag or a hand-gathered marble, it's safe to say that it was made from 1928-1949. :-) "

Anyone else have any other information that they can help out with? Thanks!

I've spent more than my share of time at the plant digs and have purchased more than my share of material coming out of the plant for quite a few years - including what is reasoned to be early pieces and true small experimental runs. You are correct in saying that early colors were or could be less bright than later colors. Part of that came from Akro perfecting and developing their colorants. I have some early examples that are probably boring to many who are focused on "the book" but I personally find of interest as benchmarks in Akro's development as a key American marble maker.

As for the pictured piece - its hard to say Akro or not - IMO. The blue is a characteristic Akro blue but the transparent amber doesn't jump out at me as an Akro production color. This doesn't mean that it wasn't Akro.... it could be a start or end-of-run piece.... or just be an early piece for which we have little reference. I couldn't quite make out the seam - that is another area where Akros (especially early examples) can stand apart.

The other feature that makes me wonder is the number of corkscrew turns in the piece. Akros generally don't have that much twist. (Having said that I must say that I do own Akros that have that many turns - but they are few and far between).

Akro was not above re-using small batches of cullet made for other pieces (dishes, smaoker's sets etc) for marbles. It was rare but was done

If you can get a well lit view of the seam/finish - it may help a little.

Regards,

Alan

Alan, At this point in time I do not have this marble in hand. But from what I remember there might not of been a noticeable seam. Not to say there was one or not. I guess Lizzy would be the one to answer that one. She knows so much more about seams and such than I do. But I really thank you for your observations on this marble it is greatly appreciated. The photos that Lizzy took pretty much show the whole marble :rolleyes:

tnbar..............!!!

I know my pics suck ! But the AKRO EYES that saw

mine......said it was an EARLY AKRO CORKSCREW.

I don't SPEAK for them....but I sure TRUST THEM !!!

And because of that I feel I can compare your marble

to mine and say they are VERY SIMILIAR.

Your's is much more active than mine.

But the fact that mine has 2 ribbons. One

is Light Blue...the other is Cream Colored.

Both Ribbons are Opaque and the baseglass

is Transparent Amber/Brown.

PRICE...??? Depends on who want's it...and just

how much they " HAVE TO HAVE IT "......right ???

If someone wants to buy mine.

They are buying an Early 1 inch Akro Corkscrew that is lightly buffed.

I'm not "PLUGGING" my marble !!! I'm just stating

and establishing what the marble IS if it were to be sold.

AND YES....MINE BUGGED THE HELL OUTTA ME UNTIL I WAS TOLD WHAT IT WAS !

RAR

This is the one thbar's reminded me of when I first saw his pictures. I tried posting my pics a while back and couldn't get it to work till recently. Mine's a bit worn out but I think there are similarities in construction: the "corking" effect that isn't as defined on these (as it is on some of the more mainstream corkscrews) but still traceable. I could be way off, but just my opinion.

post-279-1198796989_thumb.jpg