Contemps

carole154

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm curious. What are the best sites for contemp collectors?

carole

Glass addiction is a good place to start. There are a huge number of artists not on GA though. It sort of depends whose work you prefer and want to collect. A good number of contemporary artists sell on Ebay as well. Personal preference in contemporaries vary widely - as do costs.

Thanks guys. I'll try to check those out. I'm looking for online sites. I'd like to see this site revive itself, contemps and machine mades. Up to us though.

carole

The funny thing about contemporaries is that they are very diverse and one person's "got to have it" is another person's <yawn>. IMO many contemps can be trickier to photograph - as many have a lot of depth to them. I started collecting contemporaries after about a decade a collecting vintage (in addition to, not instead of). I found that moreso than vintage - it helps to actually to actually hold it in the hand to really appreciate the skill that went into making it.

The diversity of design and execution is so broad as to almost defy description and artists are constantly coming up with radical new design concepts. Some contemporaries require huge investments in time to prepare, craft and finish them. Ask a contemporary artist how much time goes into a specific piece and you will often be amazed.

Like vintage it is a "buy what you like" emphasis.

and in some cases, what you can afford! LOL! they can get very pricey! (but gorgeous!!)

we also have quite a few contemps. totally agree with alan, hard to picture and always best in hand.

I was admiring some $3,000 - 4,000 pieces this year at the Wheaton Arts show. The artist noted that at that level - they were outside the marble collecting crowd and in the art glass circles.

I think we can revive ourselves, Carole.... Not everyone who collects marbles enjoys constant ridicule about everything from speech impediments, to people who hold their marbles with their (OMG!!!) fingers in an auction picture..... <_<

This whole thing has really wakened me to why I had become so distant from the board and now I really seem to enjoy being here, for the first time, in a longggggg time.

It's just gonna take time. Our board has taken a LOT of ridicule in the past for it's petty attitude (wayyyyy beyond the Steph issue) and we've lost a lot of good collectors on account of it. I'm hoping, in time, we can draw them back. If not, that's OK too....

Alan, another wonderful aspect of collecting contemps is the "People Factor." Going to Wheaton is like a religious experience for me!! So many talented people, who are just a blast to be around!! When you purchase a marble from an artist that you've become friends with, having them around you on a daily basis is like being surrounded by friends. Not only can you enjoy it's own beauty, but it's connection to a person that you care about brings out a different beauty!!

Yeah, I'd like to see more contemporary action here, too....

HEY!!!

I'd like to see this site revive itself, contemps and machine mades.

Remember, we've got vintage handmade collectors here, too!!!! ROFL!!! :blush:

If the Stankard bee in a 1¾" size runs at $1200..... I wonder what the tag is on this one!!! LOL

Paul Stankard 5" Sphere

I wish Bert's pictures could be enlarged... Here's one from another gallery....

With Paul's signature "Root People"

I agree - a Stankard is a piece that REALLY benefits from high resolution. I think they are quite difficult to truly appreciate without studying it closely in person. The Stankards have an amazing gift.

Ro's new line is awesome. for those that are not IAMC members (and why not!?) our glass artists of the year this year was Ro purser. we had the marbles you see pictured, along with others, Ro's glass studio, and an interview with Ro to top it off, all in one newsletter.(y'all missed out!) we have spent many hours at Ro's and it's truly amazing. we're a couple of the very fortunate few that have seen his works before and after and been in the 'masters' studio. (and our lips are sealed!!) lol

and where Alan was talking 'time'? Ro worked on this line for over 6 months before it was introduced.

we always have tons of fun at Ro's, and it was really great to share all of it with our members. :lol:

and yep it dives into the 'glass art' catagory, as Ro's works can be found in the Mirage in vegas along with chihuli's works.

oh Sue, you would love it! they have a huge wild life preserve that runs next to their property. no neighbors, on an island, so you get to take a beautiful ferry ride to get to it. and maybe you'd get to see Ro's shop. not the glass shop, his 'other' shop too. Ro and Renee are such fun!

it would indeed be a wonderful vacation spot! you can even go on 'whale watching' boat cruises... quaint little shops and towns. ahhhh it's nice there.

Those are awesome!! And again, both Chris' and Raz'... with Jackie & Sheryl, 4 of the greatest people you could ever wanna know!!

My latest addition (shhhhh, don't tell Wally... I'm not supposed to be buying..... :blush: ) is one of Brad Bandolino's... Brad was at Wheaton in 2006.... I really regreted not buying one of his marbles then. His precision is unreal!!

He was on the top of my list for this year, but he didn't make it :( I've been watching his auctions ever since.... this one combines his Anemone with a vortex... The back is nice, too.... I tried to steal the rest of the pics, but they're gone.... Someday, when I catch up (My eternal dream....) I'll see if I can get pics of it.

post-3-1190246332_thumb.jpg