What Are You Watching Now?

Steph

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alec Callender would not be pleased with this!

For those not familiar, he was more or less the lead character in the British sit-com 'May to December'.

An attorney (I guess barrister or solicitor would be a better word here. Not sure which one) who has a serious

'professional man-crush' on Perry Mason, and sometimes, when especially puzzled about a case, has private

conversations with the photo of him on his office wall. ( :

From Wikipedia:

Alec Callender - (Anton Rodgers) - a widowed, Scottish solicitor who tries to balance his work, his family and his new romance with a much younger woman, Zoë. Alec idolises Perry Mason, and has a "signed" photo reading "Cheers, Alec, let's crack open a case sometime. Perry."[5] He wishes his cases could be more exciting, like Perry's, but instead the most excitement he sees is the occasional divorce.

alecperry_zpsongqu4ld.jpg

Not familiar. Will keep my eyes open for a chance to be.

I don't know why they kept the series going after Raymond Burr died.

However, that wasn't the first time that he was absent and his friends showed up to try the cases instead of him. :) There was a string of about four episodes during the regular series where there were guest lawyers. Bette Davis was the lawyer in one of the episodes.

Have we talked about this here?

Not that I remember.

And who knows why networks do the things they do?

Their traditional 'never say die' approach just seems silly.

And thanks once again for teaching me the 'jumping the shark' term not so long ago.

I was always aware of this 'concept' but didn't have a name for it.

The Perry Mason situation isn't quite the same thing, but close enough. ( :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark

(Not a big fan of courtroom drama, but I think I'd really enjoy Bette Davis as an attorney!)

I just checked out the Bone-the-Fish site which replaced the Jump-the-Shark site to see what their voters thought.

All 8 of their voters said "never boned" .... but sounds like they were talking about the original run only, and one person said he wanted to "to forget the remakes ever happened."

There were 30 of the movies from 1985 to 1995. I didn't realize there were so many. So Raymond Burr did 26, then Paul Sorvino one, and Hal Holbrook three.

Doesn't seem like MeTV has access to all 30. They loop back around to the beginning rather quickly.

Oh man. I'm really happy right now.

Exactly my 'kind' of movie, and somehow I never saw it before.

Real people dealing with real life problems.

No automatic weapons. No 'special effects'. No international espionage.

And the likes of Sally Field and Tom Hanks both in top form and with their

characters each going totally 'ballistic' mentally, both individually and 'together'.

Only part way through it, but I'm pretty sure this will wind up in my 'top movies' list.

Absolutely fantastic. ( :

17304038b9cb01af1ebb63b8c92a56d0ecb91e96

fieldhanks_zpsqdznvkbk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I watched it. Not sure about the understanding part. But it was my kind of show, as They say.

Also the Twilight Zone.

And another one hardly anybody remembers, "The Creaking Door."

Twin Peaks, of course. And the X-Files. Lost.

Seeing the new X-Files this week was oddly comforting . . . They're still out there . . .

Wasn't familiar with Night Gallery before I saw it in MeTV. To me it generally feels like a ghost story I walked in on the middle of.

I expect when I finally watch the new X-Files I'll find something to like about it. But I also expect I'll be as annoyed with it as I was with the 2008 movie. The 2008 movie basically made it like the series never existed. Completely undid the story which climaxed in a huge way at the series finale. And I not happy. <--- understatement

Very annoyed, very annoying fangirl about X-Files. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

You guys consistently enjoy shows that I wouldn't even consider watching!

I don't mean to say this in any way that implies 'judgment'.

Just a matter of personal taste.

But it's interesting to me that I otherwise particularly enjoy the way your 'brains' work,

and that this subject somehow seems to be an exception

It's making me think that in the future we may have situations where 'irreconcilable

television remote control possession differences' might be considered a legitimate

'Divorce Court'  concept.  This would be a shame for people who are otherwise

mentally 'on the same page', which is the most wonderful situation in the world. 

I think about stuff too much. ( :  

• 2 weeks later...

"Fun" no longer is the right word for You, Me & the Apocalypse.  I will say no more.  Except if you haven't been watching it, don't start now.  Just two episodes left out of ten, and you don't want to see the end before you see the beginning.  

I give the series a 10 so far.