How Do I Tell The Difference?

bermar

I have always had difficulty telling the difference between transitionals.

First, please help with these, and second, please discuss how to know

the difference between Navarre, Leighton, M.F.Christensen, German, and Japanese.

Thanks for any help.

Burt

post-254-126080220431_thumb.jpg

post-254-12608022158_thumb.jpg

Navarres are Leightons and will have melted pontils(occasionally they show up with an extremely tiny pinpoint pontil without melting. The earliest German types(previously known as Leightons) have a ground(faceted pontil) MFCs usually have a nice tail and a long smooth cutoff. The Japanese types usually have an extremely rough(spider web like) cutoff area. I believe the others from the tiny 1/32" indent type to the various crease pinch etc cutoffs are German. I also believe there are a bunch of German handgathered slags(Transionals)that appear just like many American HG slags. The Melted pontils and ground pontils are actually handmades and not really transionals.(handgathered-machine rounded)Edit, now if we could just figure out where the so called Canadian types come from(although I am starting to think Germany)

pontils

Very nice marbles. The white one is an excellent example. What size?

They are melted pontils.

The two showing the most purple/white appear to be from Navarre, Ohio, which was one location of James Leighton's marble making plants. The colors and the "looping" out of the pontil are charactistics of marbles coming from this plant. I would say it is very possible for the white one comming from this location also.

thanks.

Thanks IDans, I always have had difficulties to see the difference between regular-ground or melted pontils.

Even when I look for minutes at the different pontils I can hardly see it.

Hope one day I will learn it.

winnie

Here's some examples;

Ground/Faceted, Regular, Melted

ponts.jpg

Hope this helps a little.

thanks.