California Sulfides

Scoop

Thanks Sue (and Lloyd). Here's the info from the listing, including a clarifying (and fascinating) Q&A exchange:

This Item is one of the Infamous CALIFORNIA SULPHIDES. This is Not an Antique German Marble.

The Figure is Carved with Fine Detail. There is a Light Amber Tint to the Base Glass.

The Marble is in Professionally Polished Condition.

The Marble Measures About 1 & 5/16 inches in Diameter.

This Well Known Marble is the One Pictured Above in Paul Baumann's Book: "COLLECTING ANTIQUE MARBLES".

This is the Specific Marble used by ANTIQUE COLLECTORS REPRODUCTION NEWS ACRN in Conducting Scientific Tests to Challenge the Age of These Contemporary Marbles.

------

Q: How do you know for sure that this is the one in the book? Thanks, Cyndie Dec-15-06

A: Hello Cyndie, This Marble was given to me by a collector of sulphides. He purchased it thinking it was an antique. I supplied the marble to Mark Chervanka at ACRN for testing. I was part of a group of advanced collectors that played an active part in exposing these marbles as contemporary as opposed to antique. Thank you, Lloyd Huffer

I don't want to stretch my neck 1/32 of an inch into the battle over the "Exotics..."

But................... This glass testing firm that dated the sulphides might be an idea.................. :mellow:

Note of potential interest: the land of marbles thread discusses blacklighting sulfides. Antique ones will have a mild to moderate vaseline glass glow. CA sulphides won't.

Also of potential interest: there are a couple of dramatic sets of before-and-after-polishing pix in that thread.

That was a look back ... just a couple of notes I wanted to add for my own future reference.

Now, I'm really interested in Sue's idea for highjacking the thread. Lloyd, how invasive are the tests ACRN performs? How conclusive? (and what would it take to get an exotic into their hands? :mellow:)

• 2 weeks later...

The process is/was used a lot in dishes/decorative glass, called "flash" color. Like the auction said, it is a fragile finish and prone to scratches and wear. It would not last long on a marble. They also have to have an unpainted area to stand in the oven/kiln (so they don't stick) or an uncolored punty pontil mark on a marble.