Marble Jewelry!!

Scoop

I finally got around to trying to gather all the pieces of jewelry made with marbles that are similar to the necklace that Joe posted a long time ago in this thread.

The findings are all so similar, it seems evident that it was all one maker's work... There's 2 sorts of findings that actually hold the marbles... The spring wire and the 4 fingers... But, both are found with the "leaf" things hanging from them, so I would think they were made in the same place. All the necklaces have the same clasp.. I found the pin that's pictured while I was actually looking for a different pin (I'd forgotten about this one...) I still can't find the one I was looking for (I REALLY need to organize!!! LOL) It's a totally different setting from this... But, it's also a leafy design. It uses the 4 fingered finding sticking out from the center of the pin, rather than hanging from it... I'd bet that it also had a similar marble in it, but someone removed it and replaced it with a German handmade peewee swirl.... There are also some men's cufflinks and shirt buttons that use the same 4 fingered setting (I've got some of those around here, too....... Someplace.... :blink: )

It seems all that I have are solid colored marbles (unless there's others I haven't found, yet...) But, I have seen pieces on ebay with the patches...

post-3-1199915388_thumb.jpg

post-3-1199915406_thumb.jpg

post-3-1199915427_thumb.jpg

I also have a necklace & bracelet in the design below... I remember making jewelry as a Girlscout, using the "twist" design in pendants, pins and earrings... Usually, we fried marbles to put into them...

But, these are smaller than the "craft store of the '60's" findings.... Probably about the same era, give or take 10 years... But, the marbles are not like anything I've seen "loose." They are glass....

post-3-1199915443_thumb.jpg

post-3-1199915458_thumb.jpg

I was waiting for you to post yours Sue before I finally jumped in to ask if anyone had any idea who made the peewees in Joe's.

My guess is that they are Akro Royals but before Joe's, and now yours, the only marbles I'd seen in the necklaces were pelts.

well, I'm also only guessing that yours aren't pelts!

the first necklace is indeed similar to some I have also seen. I have a neat one, if I get time will post. the marbles I have seen in the older type necklaces of this type have all been peltier marbles. since these necklaces are from about the late 1930's it would be impossible to say for sure who made the peewees, as they could have been replaced by the owner to match an outfit!

A hint,keep a eye out for Vitro marbles in jewelry. Art Fisher made and had made many pieces of jewelry with Vitro marbles,necklaces,ear rings,pins,bracelets,etc. He did not sell these as a production item. He had these for one main purpose (but others) and that was he gave these to waiters and waitress,s as a tip when he visited the local resturants. He ate out very often and the servers would watch for him because they wanted the jewelry. These contain all types of Vitro marbles and many are solids or chinese checker marbles. Also many of the plant employees also received these items of jewelry as rewards. He even gave the very collectiable Vitro lamps as gifts to mostly employees but to a few others. Several pieces of this jewelry has made its way all over the country now. Another little tid bit out,now the price goes up again.