Jabo Ace Photo

kbobam

Not a particularly exciting photo, but hopefully the topic title spared those who don't like or are just tired of these. For the rest of you, the latest Ace is an example of one of my two favorite types. And I'm beginning to think that my favorite types may have some "cross-overs', which is a fun thing in itself! The main thing with these is that the exciting design is only a fractional part of the entire marble. Until this one I always figured that the ones I really liked would have the pattern only on one side. This particular design circles at least 3/4 of the marble, but is still simple enough to work its marble mojo on me. Hope some of you like it. Bob :)

Bob: I was at New Philly this past weekend and I had the opportunity to see all of the Jabo runs in significant quantity. As I have not been involved in any of the runs it was a first chance to see the consistency AND diversity within the runs - and the differences between runs. I have read some of the controversy that has graced some boards on this topic and I have no interest in opening that door. The amount of diversity within one run is interesting (to me) and it makes me wonder how easy or hard it will be to identify pieces by run years in the future. I think this may be especially so once more Jabo runs have been produced (I hear that 3 more runs may be planned).

A photo guide would be helpful and I have recently discussed this privately with a few people.

I love your photo, and the marble. The rings of the log and the style of the marble give an impression of spatial expansion, and again if you look at the wood there are light purple spots all through it that really compliment the marble. I really like it. The Ace I have is totally different. I need to find one of the purple bubble ones.

Alan, I think the photo guide is a brilliant idea. I have a few bonus Aces from thoughtful sellers which I wouldn't have been able to identify as such. Now that you point it out I can see where there could easily be confusion with many of these marbles, and there sure are a lot of them. Not that I personally think the large number of varieties takes away anything from any given style; it just emphasizes the need for something like the guide. It'll be fun reading too, and I hope the 'few and fearless' who take on the challenge of writing it have fun putting it together as well.

Derrick, you're probably on to something there. Although I know you weren't pointing the "untrained Jabo eye" at anyone personally, in my case it would probably be true. Which might be why I like the 'more easily distinguishable' Aces so much. For that matter, I recently admired a Mansion that Steph posted, although I don't have any at this point. Turned out that this particular style was not only her least favorite, but also that of the actual maker. D'oh! Guess I just like like the 'easy ID' marbles!

Mary, you did it again! Had already decided that the photo was better than I thought at first. It's just that it was so easy to shoot I figured it couldn't be worth much. Some marbles are tough, and some are easy, as mentioned in the 'Trilite Take Two' post. But that really doesn't have any connection with the end result. But while I did wind up liking the shot I don't think I ever would have noticed the purple on the wood. Maybe subconsciously?! Who knows. That's what makes a 'critic ' with a good eye so valuable. I'm going to try setting up this shot again when conditions are the same, to see if the marble actually created the purple or whether it was just one of those lucky 'photographic' things. Bob ( :

Geeeeez Bob!! It's hard to believe that your knocking out these cool photos without realizing what a great eye you have for design!! You have a lot more "artist" in you than you may believe!!! :Cool_049:

I really like this type of Ace, too... I've been watching Charles' auctions and I really liked the "9 pack" box... But, I didn't like the marbles that he offered with them in his auctions... I asked if he'd put a box together with a lot less yellow and he did a great job!! I got one that has an "S" pattern in it, similar to Steph's avatar...

post-3-1234285378_thumb.jpg

('sorry it's so dark... 'Not much sun here, today!!)

I've noticed that some of the other types from this run also seem to have reoccurring "S" patterns...

I haven't noticed them in the other runs... Could it be because these are just so distinct in the transparent glass?? Or, was there something unique about this run that created that pattern??

I wanted the box because I liked the design and the run was done by some people that I'm proud to represent the efforts of, in my collection... I figured 9 marbles in a presentation box wasn't a bad deal at $29.95...

post-3-1234285398_thumb.jpg

Thanks Charles!!!!

Here's a link to the auctions for The2cees. He has a few other types of boxes, too!!

We made those marbles in the wee hours of the morning right at the end of our run, if I remember correctly, only Brian Estepp, Bill Tow, J.H. Miller, and myself were still awake! The "S" is for Smitty. LOL

I have some empty ACE boxes, 6 count and 9 count if anyone is interested. By the time my boxes came, I was sold out of Aces to put in them! (Except, of course, my keepers)

And I neglected to say thanks for the compliment to Sue.

That was a great move to 'work with' Charles as far as having it your way. (Like at Burger King!)

I've never thought to ask a seller to alter a set, although clearly the larger the set the greater the odds there'll be a marble or two which you don't really care for. Should have been obvious, especially when dealing with someone like Charles, who couldn't be easier to get along with. Another example of furthering one's 'marble education' at TMC! ( :