Beach Ball Cats Eyes

I did a search for "Beach Ball Cats Eyes" on this forum and nothing comes up - so I thought I would create a post and show some off, and see what everyone has -

I have a few left of the ones made in 2001(date?) that Marble King did attempting to recreate the St Marys BBcats from the 1950's

I have not been able to get my hands on any of the original St Marys cats in the beach ball variety -

I do have these up for sale on the Marble Mansion etsy site - HERE

DSC_0241.JPG

look for four color cat eyes..never heard of beachball....there is a beachball by vitro but it haint a cateye...

4 colored cats eyes - mmmmm, fair enough distinction....although 4 colors could be any 4 colors.

I have heard them called beachball cats eyes, or mock St Mary's cats eyes....but from what I understand, St Mary's cats eyes also were made in blue and yellow and the colors crossed through....so calling these blue, yellow, green, and red catseye "beachball" cats eyes is a finer distinction of color and pattern I suppose.

Lets see the beachball by Vitro -love to see a picture Duffy - I think I have before - is it similar to a Parrot without the waves?

These sold overnight....

I might be able to put together one more collectors box if anyone is interested, drop me a note. I only have about 3 dozen marbles left and 2 dozen go into a box...the rest I will keep in my own collection.

haint got a pic but if you hold the pole up you can see the four colors looks like a beach ball...i still say that st marys four corlo cats were called just that.....and they were red yellow blue green...there was a signature with orange and blue- blue white -yellow-white-green white -and the most common blue yellow.... in cross thrus....i mighta missed a color dont know for sure....

mixed13.jpg

Second row from the top are vitro beach balls. The first one I ever found is the 5th one over. I kept it because I thought it looked like the shape of Texas. Edna

texas? Oh - now I see it!

Those are patterned like the Vitro tricolors - just have the beach balls colors ! cool!

in reference to cat's-eyes, the term "beach ball" was used by Peterson and Castle in "Marbles: the Guide to Cat's-Eyes Marbles" on page 8 to refer to a particular cross type (or cross-through type) of cat's-eye marble:

"Another extremely rare type, found in two original Wale's bags, was the three-color, six-vane, cross type. This cat's-eye had three lines each being a different color that crossed in the center of the marbles. Thus, each color line went straight through the marble and did not form the typical 'V' of colors next to each other. It had a beach ball pattern of alternative colors as you followed the color sequence around the marble."

post-150-1241109995_thumb.jpg

i personally do not consider the 4-color Marble King cats to be cross (or cross-through) types since there is no actual crossing of colors through the center. i supposed one could call the MK's 'beach balls,' but most real (air-filled) beach balls have more than four panels of color.

post-150-1241110420_thumb.jpg

in reference to cat's-eyes, the term "beach ball" was used by Peterson and Castle in "Marbles: the Guide to Cat's-Eyes Marbles" on page 8 to refer to a particular cross type (or cross-through type) of cat's-eye marble:

"Another extremely rare type, found in two original Wale's bags, was the three-color, six-vane, cross type. This cat's-eye had three lines each being a different color that crossed in the center of the marbles. Thus, each color line went straight through the marble and did not form the typical 'V' of colors next to each other. It had a beach ball pattern of alternative colors as you followed the color sequence around the marble."

post-150-1241109995_thumb.jpg

i personally do not consider the 4-color Marble King cats to be cross (or cross-through) types since there is no actual crossing of colors through the center. i supposed one could call the MK's 'beach balls,' but most real (air-filled) beach balls have more than four panels of color.

post-150-1241110420_thumb.jpg

those cross throughs are hard to find - thanks for sharing the photos!

So those wer made by ???

the 6-vane cross-through types called "beachballs" were made in Japan, according to the packaging they are found in. i think these are the earliest made cross-thru types of cats.

i believe the white cross-thrus were also made in Japan--your avatar is an example (two colored V's on either side of a white crossing vane). there are some rare examples of the this type of cross-thru that have colored (non-white) crossing vanes.

Marble King also some cross-throughs in 4-vane style--but they only had two colors and generally, there was some bleeding of color into the vanes. in the past all MK's cats with either 4 colors or the two color cross-thru types were called "St. Mary's" but I think at least one color combo was also made a Paden City--that would be the blue/yellow.

the 6-vane cross-through types called "beachballs" were made in Japan, according to the packaging they are found in. i think these are the earliest made cross-thru types of cats.

i believe the white cross-thrus were also made in Japan--your avatar is an example (two colored V's on either side of a white crossing vane). there are some rare examples of the this type of cross-thru that have colored (non-white) crossing vanes.

Marble King also some cross-throughs in 4-vane style--but they only had two colors and generally, there was some bleeding of color into the vanes. in the past all MK's cats with either 4 colors or the two color cross-thru types were called "St. Mary's" but I think at least one color combo was also made a Paden City--that would be the blue/yellow.

Japan huh...those took over the marble market as I was growing up as a kid....

I have some of the blue and yellow St Mary's - they are nice.

Thanks for the info.

On the four colors, in the old ones the green vanes are opposite the blue vanes.

In the two color ones, marbles with clean separation of the colors tend to be valued higher by collectors but sellers sometimes try to bill being 'hybrid' as a virtue.

Here's probably the best St. Mary's thread I've seen. Hands down the best when Don's mibs were still there. I hope they can be rescued.

http://marblemental.yuku.com/topic/505