***marble Book Bibliography***

I've posted a halfway significant marble bibliography on Marble Mental this morning. Approx. 45 listings w/ISBN #s where available and additional access info. + commentary here and there. Hope this will help some of you in your search for those illusive marble books. Most are out-of-print but with the information I provide you might be able to scare them up on the online bookstores. You never know. David Chamberlain

Re. zigafoose's enquiry re. the best book for getting a handle on Vitro. I'd have to say the Johnson-Metzler-Six book AMERICAN MACHINE-MADE MARBLES (2006). And if you could scare up one the Nat'l Marble Mus. book on Vitro-Agate, but AMMM first and foremost. And for nostalgia Castle & Peterson if only to get a feel for how early on the Vitro marbles were perceived. There's a certain pleasure in going back to the roots of appreciation.

I suspect there's some anticipation of a book to come strictly on Vitro Agate Co. Maybe from Chuck Brandstetter but I don't know. He has written articles about their marbles so the interest is definitely there. Then, I've written over 24 marble articles and have no interest in tackling a marble book. Too many other things on my place: cycling, frisbee golf, doll collecting, etc. ....David Chamberlain

Gee, I'm not necessarily feeling decrepitude; I just don't have the mental acumen for such an unwieldy approach to being literate, much preferring to hit and run. I'm getting a kick out of these many spurts of inspiration especially when it involves jousting with marble friends.

As for my favorite nephew, Brett Chamberlain, I've always known him to be a mensch. .....Uncle David

To answer your question about the name 'Grumpy,' I must digress. I'd given Steve considerable grief over the wholesale naming of marbles and protested strongly against any marble being named after me. He then threatened to name one 'Grumpy' based on my stance! Thankfully he relented and more appropriately named one of the Spring 2005 marbles 'Brassy' which is meant to represent my deserved or undeserved Marble Cop status. Honestly I really try to underplay this honor. ...David Chamberlain

• 1 month later...

I have been meaning to do this for a long time, David. Here is a wonderful book that is not on your bibliography. It is called the marble book subtitled A book about marbles around the world. It was published by SKF in Goteborg Sweden of all places in 1986. It is in english. It is a charming book of about 128 pages with lots of writeups and pictures. I have tried to take some pics of the book and will attempt to uplaod them. I have 2 copies.

post-272-1245825923_thumb.jpg

post-272-1245826032_thumb.jpg

post-272-1245826047_thumb.jpg

To answer your question about the name 'Grumpy,' I must digress. I'd given Steve considerable grief over the wholesale naming of marbles and protested strongly against any marble being named after me. He then threatened to name one 'Grumpy' based on my stance! Thankfully he relented and more appropriately named one of the Spring 2005 marbles 'Brassy' which is meant to represent my deserved or undeserved Marble Cop status. Honestly I really try to underplay this honor. ...David Chamberlain

books .. books .. books .. i would think scratching on a bank .. sounds of the meandering river over ur shoulder.. and the FANTASTIC bunch of marbleheads vying to get ur position ... hmmmm ... a story there :Happy_143: .... see ya. bill

post-75-1245845312_thumb.jpg

I have been meaning to do this for a long time, David. Here is a wonderful book that is not on your bibliography. It is called the marble book subtitled A book about marbles around the world. It was published by SKF in Goteborg Sweden of all places in 1986. It is in english. It is a charming book of about 128 pages with lots of writeups and pictures. I have tried to take some pics of the book and will attempt to uplaod them. I have 2 copies.

1986? and from Europe? oh my. I wonder what different perspectives that offers ....

There are some interesting articles in it. When I first read it , I hoped it would reveal alot we have missing from the European marble history but it did not reveal half as much as I wanted about the companies etc. There are lots of articles about what games are played in different countries. I was looking for sort of a field guide like this marble was made by this company during these years and it is not like that, although some of that info is presented. Interesting articles about stone marbles in Sweden, Marble games in Holland, etc. There is an interesting bibliography in the back I will try to picture for those interested.

S