Ringer?

Steph

I had just recently decided that there is no such thing as a Ringer, and now you do THIS to me???

Nevertheless, I still don't believe there are any Ringers. That one just happens to fit the definition more closely than most others...still, it's probably just a variation on a Moss Agate Corkscrew, which, until recently, I had believed were Aces.

:-) :-) *hehe* thanks for the smile. :-)

My guess here is that Mike was right in pegging it as some sort of popeye anomaly. Made when one of the colors had run out or not started up yet.

just a guess. :-)

I was thinking popeye variant rather than moss agate because the white and clear are so distinct. Moss agates would have translucent bases. They could have some clear and some white wisps but would have a prominent amount of translucence. What the Akro ads called "moonstone" glass.

in my opinion, and to the best of my understanding.

And that's another thing...moonstone, by which they mean opalescent, I suppose. But that's not the definition of opalescence that I'm familiar with, which is an ambient, soft, yellowish-orange soap bubble glow all over inside the base glass. To me, opalescent is what Realers are.

I'm glad you guys brought this up, because I have been staring at this marble for a couple years now, not sure what to call it. It's got a light blue translucent base with a light blue corkscrew (kinda messy, but still a corkscrew)

What do you guys think? I hadn't heard of a moss agate corkscrew before.

-Jess

post-78-1245342526_thumb.jpg

Those yellow Ringers in the last Post look suspiciously like the marble in the auction. Without the marble in hand I'd say Ringer variant rather than Popeye variant. Whatcha think?

The choice as I see it for most Ringer contenders is between Moss Agate variant and Popeye variant. (using the popular term Popeye rather than Tri-Onxy)

There wouldn't be a Ringer variant, since to the best of my understanding Akro didn't make a Ringer marble. I can actually think of four marble types where some variation might get them qualified as a Ringer. 1) the Popeyes, of course. 2) the Moss Agates. 3) Spiral Agates with extra amounts of stray white in the base. 4) True Ace Agates with less than the usual amount of white filaments filling the base.

Yes, Jess, there are moss agate corks. Here is a salesman sample box of them, with the price label :-)

(click to enlarge)

th_MVC-018S.jpg th_MVC-019S.jpg th_MVC-020S.jpg th_MVC-021S.jpg

Mike's marble in the auction doesn't seem to have the translucent "moonstone" glass in it, so that's why I thought Popeye/tri-onyx variant over Moss Agate.

(click to enlarge)

th_Mike_A.jpg th_MikeB.jpg

Craig's look like they have the "moonstone" glass so my belief is that Akro made those as moss agates.

I didn't see your photo when I posted. My brain is too full right now. I'm afraid to say anything. LOL.

(seriously -- My brain just went on strike.)

... but ... wow ... what a sweet and unusual marble ......

They are Akros, but it wasn't the name of a marble style.

Ringer Marble Set, I think the box says. A set of marbles for the Ringer game. The official game of the national tournaments. My best guess for the box style puts it at around 1930/1931. I still haven't seen an ad for it though so I don't know. But in that general era, Moss agates were a very likely type of marble to put in the box. It all adds up. Moss corks are a much likelier bet for the average content than popeye variants with one too few colors.

To the best of my understanding