Would You Call This A Flame?

Yeah, Pennsboro Alley Agate and I'm assuming 5/8"; it's got that look. I've a set of twenty five(25) Alley Agate Flames that I've gradually upgraded to within an inch of their lives. See AMMM (2006), the Alley Agate chapter, of course. In truth I feel they should be referred to as flame-like because Christenson Agate Co. is the rightful owner of the name 'flame.' Still Alley Pennsboro turned out some beauties. David

Yeah, Pennsboro Alley Agate and I'm assuming 5/8"; it's got that look. I've a set of twenty five(25) Alley Agate Flames that I've gradually upgraded to within an inch of their lives. See AMMM (2006), the Alley Agate chapter, of course. In truth I feel they should be referred to as flame-like because Christenson Agate Co. is the rightful owner of the name 'flame.' Still Alley Pennsboro turned out some beauties. David

don't really buy that david. i'm sure many can pic outstanding flames from their collection,from other makers, that are on par with chrissies ... alley made a few folks back then pretty nervous ... bill

post-75-124761333944_thumb.jpg

post-75-124761339982_thumb.jpg

It looks like an Alley flame to me, Gary. And honestly David, given that marbles with flame-like patterns were produced by a number of companies, don't you think that "flame" is better used to describe a pattern than serve as a specific name for Christensen marbles displaying such decoration?

2377708620104684377S425x425Q85.jpg

"It is now generally conceded that Christensn Agate was not the only company to to make the style known as flames. Alley and Ravenswood also certainly produced flames" pg. 69 AMM Christensen Chapter

"Recent discoveries indicate that the Alley flame patterns were very reminiscicent of those of Christensen Agate and Ravenswood." pg.39 AMM Alley Agate Chapter

" 'Flame' is a marble collector's term for a striping that has finger-like points dramatically leaping out of a base color." pg 146 Ravenswood chapter