How Many W V Swirl Companies Were There?

MrsMopar

Just to clarify.

Kevin mentioned Akro moving to WV or something like that in post #7. It seemed like maybe he was wondering why I did not mention Akro in my post about the other WV marble companies that did not make swirls.

I did not mention Akro because, as I stated in the post Steve quoted above, because Steve HAD mentioned Akro in his post. Here's what Steve aaid in Post #2 -

'Also, people have perhaps jokingly included certain Akros in that category. They weren't primarily a swirl company but were in WV and did make some swirls.'

Steve wasn't saying they were swirls but he was indicating that Akro was in WV.

Kind of a wasted post but I didn't want Steve to think I was 'going after him' for some reason.

This is a good thread for newbies and some of us oldies. It's always good to know the vast number of marble companies inthat neck of the woods.

I visit it sometimes, it's a good site, you did a good job !

Paula did a great job. Also look at this link. You might want to put it on your favorites list ofr IDing lots of makers as well as Davis. http://joemarbles.com/1Marble%20Picture%20Pages/08Davis/Davis%20001/Davis%20Marble%20Works%201.htm

Someone reminded me of this bag which might interest some participants of this thread. Who made the marbles inside?

Akro Hot Shot bag:

(click pix to enlarge)

th_Hotshot1a.jpg . . th_Hotshot1b.jpg . . th_Hotshot1d.jpg . th_Hotshot1c.jpg

This is all I said about Akro in the WV swirls entry in my definitions thread:

"Also, people have perhaps jokingly included certain Akros in that category. They weren't primarily a swirl company but were in WV and did make some swirls."

That still seems an accurate summary to me. fwiw. And even if someone made the claim unjokingly, I wouldn't think they were unreasonable. jmho.

"But now that i went there and found my mystery mib that i figured out was Jackson, i seen it said Jackson Furnace Marble ?"

"Any info on this ?"

Kevin,

The "Jackson Furnace Marble Moniker" is nothing more than good ole American marketing. I'm not for sure who labeled that particular marble with that name but I asked the person that I purchased it from where the name came from and he commented that it was named that because it resembled the Champion marbles of the same name. Interestingly they appear to be plagued with the same annealing fractures that are common with the Champion Furnace Marbles. I picked through quite a few to get some that are relatively clean. They are very nice marbles; I think they are one of the nicer Jacksons although I like the red, white and blue swirls also. Not sure if this was the type of info you were looking for but hope it helps. Thank you, Joe.