What Do You Think, Leroy?

bermar

Im not Leroy,but my guess would be the final results would not be good,as far as the remaining pattern,after being in a sphere machine.

Its difficult to judge,from the one picture,but here is what I see.

The one chip,near the pontil looks like it is down to the lutz.If you would polish it down,until you had it completly gone,there would be open,clear panels on the ends.Usualy the structure in those,have the color and the lutz,very close to the surface,near the pontils,meaning there is less,clear glass you can remove,before you start to remove the color.

Maybe a partial polishing,with a few of the deeper chips,remaining.

Its always difficult to make the call,without the marble in hand.Even with the best photography.

Hello Burt-

You have a rare example of what was probably someone's favorite marble. They certainly played with it a lot.

Maybe even loved it? It is unusual to see a Lutz marble in such misused condition.

This is just my opinion and it is an option to polishing- You can display the marble as it is. Sooner or later you'll have some good stories to tell about how it got all those kisses.

I personally wouldn't polish those old war stories off the surface of the marble. The end result might be shiny and show some lutzy sparkle, but all the schoolyard tales would be long gone.

I'm Hip,

Lloyd

PS- I admit to being an extremist as far as polishing- I have only had 2 marbles polished since I started collecting sometime in the last century.

Burt,

It has been my experience with these marbles that the pontils will be gone of course and depending on how deep the deepest impact is, polishing may pull the ends down to where the lutz starts to "recede". If a person doesn't mind a small amount of damage left on the marble, this can be regulated to removing most of the damage, but not getting into the stripping or the lutz. The only way to tell for sure is an in hand inspection. You may be surprised at how well this marble may turn out with a very careful reconditioning. On the other hand it may not be a candidate for reconditioning at all. ----Leroy----

I haven't been disappointed by any of Leroy's work, there are a lot of beat up marbles that can be rejuvenated. Ultimately it's your call. I think there's enough clear glass on that one still that can be enjoyed with all the battle scars, since most of what's going on is close to the surface and not obscured like you'd see if the good stuff was closer to the core like most other handmades from that era.

Imagine the kid on the playground tossing that bad-boy around. I've seen a similar one in Red that's worse off, but could likely still be helped if that's your thing.

Big John shows an excellent example though, and not too many would disagree that it looks a lot better than it did. Unless you're a purist that likes the history (in which case one could argue that you could effectively take a polished marble and pass it on to a new generation for them to play with on the playground and earn it's battle scars all over again). Marbles are toys and no doubt in my mind that even a polished handmade still has it's uniqueness compared to to any run of the mill (ie: current) marbles getting churned out by machines nowadays.

Heres another thought,if you have an accumulation of chipped up marbles.

Find a old mason jar or old bottle that has appeal,to you,fill it up with the chipped up ones,pour it full of baby oil,cork or cap it with a good seal.

You will get a good view of the marbles,and you dont have to disturb the history,or charicter of the marbles.

Griff