What Did I Just Buy!?! Opaque Guinea?

BuckEye

Well I just acquired this marble and upon further inspection I believe it to be a CAC opaque guinea. It is just under 5/8 and has a baby blue base with splotches of electric orange, areas of red with brown streaks and areas of a brownish red mix. It is on a single seam. The color does not run like a striped opaque and is very difficult to photo, so the red areas look like the electric orange in some photos so i took a few with and without flash. check it out please and all opinions are welcome! Oh and check out the "wolf's head" in the last pic

Craig

post-2120-126349084194_thumb.jpg

post-2120-12634908529_thumb.jpg

post-2120-126349086427_thumb.jpg

There is such animal. They are named striped opaque guineas because the patterns on them resemble the patterns on a guinea. Yours is borderline. In the first pic you see the splotches resemble a guinea in pattern. The rest is more of a reg striped opaque. Hence the reason I say borderline. The only 2 colors I have seen them in is this red/blue and red/green. Way VHTF. Block's book has a couple examples of them.

I'm not persuaded that there's any reason to tack the name "guinea" onto this type of striped opaque. I don't think Block really gives any adequate reason for doing so . . .

Having that mib and calling it a CAC striped opaque -- especially calling it mine --would make me VERY happy!

Block didnt name the marble. It was already in use when Block took the pics. Collectors named this because of the patttern like a guinea. It is really a striped opaque in general but a variety. Sort of like a hybrid of some other type of marble and company. You ever see a pelt liberty/rebel, an MK spidermelon? This is what I am referring to a variety.

simply a play on words to increase the value of ones mibs imho,,, Christensen named the worlds best Guinea to certain type,,, it would be hard to call any guinea a hybrid with all the colors,maybe an added pink or whatever color that isnt in their runs, if anyhing a hybrid stiped opaque could be possible if you knew every different combination of the stiped opaques,,, bj

Agree with bigjohn - - - just an opinion, but to me the word "guinea" is very tightly linked to (#1) the variety of the characteristic colors on the surface (the lavender, light green, blue, and on and on), whether they're sploched or striped or swirled or some combo of both, and (#2) the transparent base (of whatever color, clear, amber, cobalt).

I'd be willing to think of a marble as an opaque guinea if it had the same characteristic colors/distribution of colors as a "traditional" guinea . . . just on an opaque base.

To me the marble in question is a lovely two-color CAC striped opaque with a bit more action in the striping than usual. I'd think of it (and others like it) as a "fancy striped opaque" way before I'd go to the G word . . .

Even more, however, I wish it were mine! Nice, nice mib!

Sob.

"Opaque guinea" I owe everyone an apology. That term is my fault. I complain louder than most about the silly name game as many of you already know. About 6 years ago at New Philly show I saw those and one with a yellow base. The first thing I said was wow they look like a guinea on opaque glass and jokingly called them opaque guineas. It got repeated and you know the rest of the story. If I can get some good pics of mine including the yellow base I'll post them, although i think they are pictured in one of Blocks books. Bill

Actually, I don't believe the introduction of a 'hybrid' name for this particular marble with its borderline (striped opaque/guinea) characteristics was financial subterfuge at all. It was innocently coined as a natural expression for a striped opaque with extra pizzaz. Clyde has been quite modest in his explanation.

Now I am absolutely sure that the typical eBay seller with hyping on his mind would latch onto the name 'guinea' to enhance the value of whatever he was selling but as a word used to describe this unusual effect in a striped opaque I think it is entirely innocent.

David

Weighing in on this one again I don't have the foggiest idea as to value; these marbles are out of my league but although I stick with my support of Clyde in his history re. the evolution of the guinea characteristic given to certain striped opaques this one does not measure up to that in appearance. Not to say that it isn't worthy though. David