Steelies, What Material Was Used?

glangley

Looking for information on what types of material/metal was used to make steelies. Just out of the small amount of cheap mibs I own, some of the steelies show weathering, rust, while others do not. Some are magnetic while others are not. Some even look to be brass.

if you mean ball bearings types it could mean a bunch of different materials to attain the hardness needed for the steel for the application...the only metal types i considered marbles was the folded types that are hollow...the others was tossed out like a democrat at a republican convention...

I have heard that before Duffy, many people toss em. I know my grandfather played with them, used them as marbles when he was young. One of his favorite stories to tell was about a young boy who kept stealing their marbles during school. So they put a couple ball bearings on the woodstove and got them very hot. I can't remember if he said they just knocked them off on the floor or if they put them somewhere else where the kid could see them and get tempted. To make a long story short, he picked them up in a hurry and pocketed them before realizing how hot they were, and ended up burning his caboose. But he never stole anymore marbles.

Duffy is right.

Steelies are hollow and an "X" can be seen on the surface.

Solid metal spheres are just plain ball bearings and shouldn't be considered a steelie.

Reproduction bags are filled with plain ball bearings.

Hollow "X" Steelies are made of plain carbon steel (which rusts).

A brass alloy was also used, but they should be called "Brassies", not "Steelies".

Other materials could have been used.

The degree of rust on a steelie is dependent of the residual oil used during forming and contact with a corrosive or oxidant.

Here is a link to Google Patents for patent 812,135:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=K8dBAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq=hollow+formed+ball+iowa&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=1#v=onepage&q=hollow%20formed%20ball%20iowa&f=false

It shows the forming process of Hollow "X" Steelies.

Enjoy,

John McCormick

"Shamrock Marbles"

PATENT-812135_MANUFACTURE_OF_HOLLOW_METALLIC_BA-PG1.pdf

Solid steel balls were called Steelies and used as marbles at least from 1905 (edit: 1902). In other words, from at least around the time that Martin Christensen's steel ball machine made them affordable. So we should call them MFC's. LOLOL *joke!*

The earliest packaging might have been closer to that time, Sue, not sure.

But they were illegal in most if not all organized tournament play.

I haven't run across any of the hollow steelies with the X on them, not yet atleast. I don't keep the solid steel bearings, or steelies as I will continue to call them, in with my glass mibs because of their awesome power to destroy and chip the glass, but I know my grandfather and his friends used them as marbles. It could be that they used them because they were all farm kids with ample access to tractor and truck parts and bearings. But who also used clay marbles that they themselves rolled into balls and great grandmother baked in the oven for them to color later. They used what was at their disposal, and had a hell of a time with it. The few I am curious about came in a small marble pouch from upstate, Cadillac area. And remember I am a rookie, and I collect what I like, so some of my questions my seem off the wall or completely ridiculous altogether. Just have fun, God knows I am.

Wow, that's cool!!! I don't think I've ever seen a brass one!!

As far as "Correct Terms" are concerned, I think we need to say, here...

Despite the fact that ball bearings were used by kids as marbles...

And, I'm really sure I've seen them packaged as marbles (I've gotta look... I might have them... :unsure: )

The term as far as collecting is concerned, is generally considered to apply to hollow steelies, unless specified... Even then, ball bearing is probably more appropriate!! LOL

Cuz, despite the packaging, that's really all they are....

They used what was at their disposal, and had a hell of a time with it. The few I am curious about came in a small marble pouch from upstate, Cadillac area. And remember I am a rookie, and I collect what I like, so some of my questions my seem off the wall or completely ridiculous altogether. Just have fun, God knows I am.

And, there's NOTHING wrong with that!!! I think I have a few kickin' around, because they came with a bag of marbles....

Unashamedly ball bearings in 1902. :-) The newspaper reference I saw from that year said they were "the kind used for ball bearings". Said they could be gotten from bike shops.

Not arguing! I just love that reference. :-) My own thought is that ball bearings wouldn't qualify as marbles unless (a) they were in the packaging like you mention or (b ) I had it on good information that some particular steelie was used by a real kid back in the day.

John, that's great info you gave. Meant to say that earlier.