And Now For Something Completely Different

flanco

I found this while going through some old MCA newsletters and Marble Mart stuff. I have no idea where or when I got it. (isn't getting older a wonderful thing?) Has anyone ever heard of this place, or know where it is/was? There is no other printing on the matchbook. The back is the same as the front and the inside is blank.

post-2067-127170600567_thumb.jpg

Pat, i know a little about it, very little. LOL! I have a crystal clear flower pot, 5 1/8 inches tall, 5 1/2 inch diameter at the rim from the same place. My pot says "I got potted", Lunt Ave., Marble Club, and a pic of 4 boys playing marbles. I think Bo Stiff knows all about this. He gave me the flower pot. I keep marbles in it.

I am trying to remember what Bo told me and I just don't recall it all. It was either a restaurant or a bar. I'll email Bo and see if he will come on here and share.

Edna

Thanks Ms. Edna for sending me the link to this one

I rarely even visit any of the boards anymore.

Please understand I am just relaying what I have been told. They were all gone by the time I got to Phoenix in 1987.

The Lunt Avenue marble club started as one restaurant in Tucson by 5 friends, all transplanted yankees (their words, not mine) and it was so successful they came up tp Phoenix and opened the 2nd one. Then number 3 was in Mesa. A suburb of Phoenix on the East side (but you'll never know your out of Phoenix or in Mesa unless you read the signs).

For number 4 they went back to Tucson and then back to Phoenix up on the North side for number 5.

They were in Business for 7 years I am told. Their food was their drawing card and it was liked by all who walked through their doors.

Sadly within one 4 month stretch 3 of the original investors passed away and the other 2 just could not handle the day to day so they closed the doors.

I have a big 6 inch pot, (several actually), a 3 inch high one (their high ball drink glass), a 12 inch tall beer stein, an ashtray, a matchbook, an original menu, a marble and a marble bag all with the LUNT AVE MARBLE CLUB name and logo on them.

If anyone has other items I would sure be interesed in at least seeing pictures of them even if they are not for sale or trade.

Again, this is all hearsay. I personally never had the opportunity to darken their doorways.

(Thanks again Ms. Edna) Bo

Cool stuff

Makes me want to know more :computer-18:

Where did the name come from!?!?!???

Found on the web it was a restaurant and one of the buildings is now a place called Old Pueblo Grille.

Sounds like they had good food when they were open

• 1 month later...

I found this while going through some old MCA newsletters and Marble Mart stuff. I have no idea where or when I got it. (isn't getting older a wonderful thing?) Has anyone ever heard of this place, or know where it is/was? There is no other printing on the matchbook. The back is the same as the front and the inside is blank.

Bo got some of it right, but let me tell you about the Lunt Avenue Marble Club. In the late seventies and early eighties Big Four restaurants was big in Phoenix. Started by four friends from Chicago, and led by Lee Cohn, they had many different concepts; Oscar Taylors, Steamers, Willie and Guillermos, American Bar and Grill and, of course, Lunt Avenue Marble Club. My wife was a manager with the company for about ten years. Any long term restaurant people who live in Phoenix worked with Big Four at one time or another. The Marble Club was the place to go in Phoenix. Great food and a great bar; they were always packed. Had a great club called Around the World in 80 beers. You got a punch card and when you had finished all 80 beers you were a member of the club. Got your name on a plaque in the bar, a t shirt and I believe a pot. They had club meetings every month with drink specials and give aways. It was great. I miss that place; great fun. But hanging in my garage is one of the plaques with my name on it from the store at the Metro Center; something I will always cherish.

Bo got some of it right, but let me tell you about the Lunt Avenue Marble Club. In the late seventies and early eighties Big Four restaurants was big in Phoenix. Started by four friends from Chicago, and led by Lee Cohn, they had many different concepts; Oscar Taylors, Steamers, Willie and Guillermos, American Bar and Grill and, of course, Lunt Avenue Marble Club. My wife was a manager with the company for about ten years. Any long term restaurant people who live in Phoenix worked with Big Four at one time or another. The Marble Club was the place to go in Phoenix. Great food and a great bar; they were always packed. Had a great club called Around the World in 80 beers. You got a punch card and when you had finished all 80 beers you were a member of the club. Got your name on a plaque in the bar, a t shirt and I believe a pot. They had club meetings every month with drink specials and give aways. It was great. I miss that place; great fun. But hanging in my garage is one of the plaques with my name on it from the store at the Metro Center; something I will always cherish.

And I don't believe any of them passed away. They just split up to pursue other interests on their own. Mike owns Iguana Macks and Rigitonis in Phoenix and I believe Lee is still wheeling and dealing in the restaurant biz.

• 10 months later...

I googled "Lunt Avenue Marble Club" and found this site. The store in Tucson closed in about 1985, but not before I managed to do the 80 beers. However, it closed within days after I finished, so my only memento of the experience was a 1 liter beer stein, which I put away "someplace safe" and haven't seen since. It was a fun restaurant and bar. Good food, "cutesy" menu, and at least in Tucson, a great staff. It was located, as someone said, where the Old Pueblo Bar & Grill is now located. (200 block of N Alvernon Way?) If there is any interest in seeing the beer stein, reply, and I will find it and attach a picture.

• 2 weeks later...

Pat, i know a little about it, very little. LOL! I have a crystal clear flower pot, 5 1/8 inches tall, 5 1/2 inch diameter at the rim from the same place. My pot says "I got potted", Lunt Ave., Marble Club, and a pic of 4 boys playing marbles. I think Bo Stiff knows all about this. He gave me the flower pot. I keep marbles in it.

I am trying to remember what Bo told me and I just don't recall it all. It was either a restaurant or a bar. I'll email Bo and see if he will come on here and share.

Edna

WELL EDNA THE POT YOU HAVE CAME WITH A VERY GOOD DRINK IN IT AND YOU GOT TO KEEP THE POT. I HAD A FEW OF THESE AND THEY DID COME WITH 2 LONG STRAWS. THEY ALSO HAD AN AWFUL BURGER IS WHAT IT WAS CALLED, THEY HAD THE BUS BOY BRING IT TO YOUR TABLE SAYING IT WAS SO AWFUL THE WAITRESS WOULD NOT DELIVER IT........NOT TRUE IT WAS DELICIOUS AND WAS ABOUT A FOOT HIGH BUILT ON A TOWER OF LETTUCE WITH STRAWBERRIES STUCK IN THE LETTUCE AND A PIECE OF BRATWURST STUCK ON IT. ANYWAY HARD TO DESCRIBE BUT VERY VERY GOOD. i HAD THE PLEASURE OF GOING TO THE ONE IN TUCSON,AZ.............HAVE A GOOD DAY!

well that is how I remember the story I had a few of the matches and one pot It was lost for a few years as it got put in come boxes and well it is back out and has some candy in it .

Here is the matches in a cabinet threw the glass .

front74S_rs.jpg

well I had to turn the cabinet on to get some pics in the opening so just some pics waiting .

front75Smovingtoopenspaotofcabinet_rs.jpg

here is the front .

front76S_rs.jpg

and here is the back the same .

front77Sback_rs.jpg

here are some pics of the pot

front78Spot_rs.jpg

front79Spot_rs.jpg

front80Spot_rs.jpg

front81Spotcandy_rs.jpg

Jan even had a plant in the pot for a while , if any one needs better pics drop me a line as I made these a lower quality .

Mike