A Few Cross Thrus

Yeah, that 4th one in the top row is quite unusual what with the blue x-thru, and then the single yellow vane + the size factor. You know that the middle one in the bottom row is one of the newer 4 color MK's done as sort of a reprise of the old St. Mary's 5/8" 4 color cat's-eye, don't you? David

Yeah, that 4th one in the top row is quite unusual what with the blue x-thru, and then the single yellow vane + the size factor. You know that the middle one in the bottom row is one of the newer 4 color MK's done as sort of a reprise of the old St. Mary's 5/8" 4 color cat's-eye, don't you? David

david, that marble is an original st.marys four color.i've had it for 20+ years....jack

post-1692-127262853478_thumb.jpg

post-1692-12726285574_thumb.jpg

Sorry cat'seyeJack but I have to disappoint on this one. If your colors are true in the photograph I'd be willing to send you ten more just like it if you can truly prove me wrong. I'd appreciate it if someone else would weigh in on this one as well because these marbles have been around since the 1990s and are well known. For a while you could buy them in qtys. of 100 from what's-his-name in Kansas City who makes the fantastic marble boxes that don't look like repros. Nice guy. Really, Marble King made these in the 1990s as sort of a reprise of the old 5/8" St. Mary's with four colors. Heck, I'll send you 10 regardless. PM me your address. David

Edit: P.S. Just remembered something and the marble in question is a perfect example of this. They had trouble with the green either not fully making a vane or hybriding elsewhere and this marble besides having the subdued colors exhibits this problem with the green.

Sorry cat'seyeJack but I have to disappoint on this one. If your colors are true in the photograph I'd be willing to send you ten more just like it if you can truly prove me wrong. I'd appreciate it if someone else would weigh in on this one as well because these marbles have been around since the 1990s and are well known. For a while you could buy them in qtys. of 100 from what's-his-name in Kansas City who makes the fantastic marble boxes that don't look like repros. Nice guy. Really, Marble King made these in the 1990s as sort of a reprise of the old 5/8" St. Mary's with four colors. Heck, I'll send you 10 regardless. PM me your address. David

Edit: P.S. Just remembered something and the marble in question is a perfect example of this. They had trouble with the green either not fully making a vane or hybriding elsewhere and this marble besides having the subdued colors exhibits this problem with the green.

hi david, you know a lot more than me about marbles and i'll accept your decision. heck, i guess just about one time or the other one of us layman will purchase a misrepresented marble. thanks for letting me know...jack

Here's a picture I took of the two different MK cat's when Smitty was at the Tacoma show in summer 2008. The real St. Mary's on the left and the 2000 year run on the right. If you didn't have one of each in hand, it might be tough but seeing them side-by-side makes it pretty easy.

post-60-127264670373_thumb.jpg

Here's a picture I took of the two different MK cat's when Smitty was at the Tacoma show in summer 2008. The real St. Mary's on the left and the 2000 year run on the right. If you didn't have one of each in hand, it might be tough but seeing them side-by-side makes it pretty easy.

thanks al, boy side by side you sure can see the differance...jack

I've always felt that they were fairly easily recognizable from the get-go but I already had a small collection of many of the different original St. Mary's cat's-eyes including a couple of the 1 inch, 4 vane, 4 color. Not to be discouraged though and as I mentioned later in my Post send me your address and I'll provide you with ten of these gratis.

Hey! I have my marble black holes as well. I was humiliated big time once on a panel at Amana when it came to properly identifying a particular transitional marble and who should step up to the plate with a state-of-the-art explanation as to exactly what the marble was and its multi-faceted particulars but Bob Block. Now if you don't think that one hurt you don't know me! I really think there was a plant in the audience that posed that one. David